Chapter 4

Olivia sat in the passenger seat of Nancy's car as they drove to the funeral home, which Joyce had told them about after they went to the Byers house asking for the older brother.

Olivia had her hand fisted up while her chin rested on it. She stared out the window as she picked at her fingers, nervous of the tension filling the car as they drove in silence. The hazel-eyed girl didn't know what kind of relationship she wanted with Nancy after so long, and she knew how much she hurt her just from dating her best friend, but she didn't want to come with the terms that she didn't want to keep enduring pain from Steve because she loved him.

Nancy turned her head torwards the dark-haired girl next to her. "If you don't mind me asking, but why were you crying in that photo?"

Olivia slightly drew her brows together as she turned to the girl, realizing they were actually talking about it. Talking about the one thing she wanted to forget about the most. "We're doing this?"

Nancy looked quickly back at the road and Olivia, realizing she may have brought up something sensitive. "Oh, I'm sorry. I figured since you were open to show me the picture that you were open to talking about it, too."

Olivia drew her attention back to the window, resting her chin back on her hand. "Well I'm not." She couldn't lie, she didn't care if she sounded sour torwards Nancy because she took her best friend, the one person she could trust. The one person that loved her more that she loved him, and now it was like he cared about Nancy more.

"Right." Nancy pursed her lips before turning back towards the road, her finger tapping at the steering wheel lightly.

"Do you love Steve?" Nancy immediately spat her words out quickly right after everything got quiet again. Her words caused Olivia to quickly turn her head, her eyes formed in shock.

"What?!"

"Do you love Steve?" The light-haired girl repeated once more. "Because I see how upset you get whenever he's around me, and I see the way you look at him sometimes."

Olivia quickly shook her head, trying to convince the determined girl otherwise. "I don't look at him in any way, and I'm not jealous."

Nancy gave her a small smirk, catching her words before the dark-haired girl could herself. "I never said you were jealous. I said upset."

"My bad. I'm not upset." Olivia quickly turned her head back to the window, sighing deeply before more sadness began flooding over her. She realized that she had been caught by the one person who wasn't supposed to know, and she wondered how that would turn on her.

"You aren't gonna answer the-"

"Drop it, okay?" Olivia spun her head around, her voice slightly raising at the girl next to her. Nancy pursed her lips before turning her head, a small smile spreading on her lips.

"I don't love Steve, 'kay?" The dark-haired girl's hands moved as she spoke. "Why would you ask anyway? He's your boyfriend and wouldn't it only hurt you if my answer would've been yes?"

"Well, you didn't say yes, did you?" Nancy replied back, causing Olivia to shrug in correction. Olivia wished she could only say how much she wanted Nancy to disappear from her best friend's life so she could be the bigger part of him, but she knew she couldn't. "Besides, I only asked because I can tell. I'm not blind."

Olivia raised her brows, trying not to say anything she would regret. "Mhm."

_________________________________________________

Olivia and Nancy walked into the funeral home, the light-haired girl clutching onto her purse, while the dark-haired girl was holding the photos at her side. The Byers brother noticed the girls, causing him to look at the older man next to him. "Can you just give me a second?"