Chapter 44

Olivia could see the trailer park coming into view. It was much darker in the night and the air held a large sense of fearfulness and cold. Her feet eased on the pedals as they slowed to Eddie's trailer, the yard filled with trash and a wrecked car park. She assumed him or his uncle got into repair and, well, it didn't go so well.

She sighed in relief as her left foot stomped on the pavement, stopping the bike from moving any farther.

She shivered in the slashing cold wind, the feeling of being scared all too familiar. It didn't help that they had passed the Creel house just minutes ago. It looked completely ruined, vines stuck against the dusty exterior walls, even some shattered through the stained windows.

"Right here." Eddie hollered over the wind, his hair blowing in his face as he turned his head towards them.

Olivia dropped the bicycle onto the grey-ish grass, careless for any damage it would cause. She knew it wouldn't matter, especially since it was the Upside Down. Nobody would be there to claim it.

"That's gotta be a Guinness World Record." Robin snickered. "Most miles traveled interdimensionally."

Olivia choked a laugh at the tall girl before following after Eddie and Robin, the metal-head moving to step into his worn down porch.

"Just inhaled a bunch of that crap.", Steve coughed out, spitting something onto the ground. "It's stuck in my throat." Olivia smirked, stopping in her tracks to let her boyfriend catch up to her. He smiled at the small gesture before grasping her hand and intertwining their cold hands.

As she looked back at Steve, her eyes couldn't help but trail over at thr trailer she stayed in with Max. Her smile fell slowly and her brows turned upside down softly. Steve noticed her change in expression, her thumb moving on her skin and his head tilting slightly.

"You okay?" He questioned, watching as she reminisced. She knew now was not the time at all, and she didn't have many memories with Susan, but that didn't mean she didn't have any with Max. They are sisters and she would do anything for her. Even diving into interdimensional worlds and risking her life to stop a monster.

"Yeah..." She whispered, turning back around once they got to the porch, her feet patting at the steps.

As soon as they got inside of the small building, Olivia could immediately see why the trailer was so important. Apart from the vines and mold spots plastered on the corners of the walls, on the top of the ceiling, a humongous gate shone above them. Vines were tethered all around the remaining ceiling, helping to keep the gate in place.

There was a small seal in between the opening, a thin sheet of transparent goo. "Ew," was all Olivia could mutter as she trailed behind the others, her nose scrunched in disgust.

A soft thrumming came from the portal, it's vines pulsing slightly.

"Goddamn." Steve muttered in agreement, his brows furrowed. Beside them, Robin has her mouth agape and her eyebrows raised in bewilderment.

"This is where Chrissy died." Eddie whispered, the topic still a soft spot for him. "Like, right where she died."

The gate continued to writhe wetly, it's vines pulsing and the gooey seal casting a glare, almost like a bubble. "So our theory, well, Dustin's theory is confirmed." Olivia nodded with pursed lips, her eyes not daring to leave the gate. Is shined a dark red glow upon all of their contorted faces as it continued producing odd noises.

"I think there's something in there." Robin was in fact right, because right after she mentioned it, a wooden pole shot through the pulsing fissure and popped the thin layer.