Chapter 37

Now sitting back in the basement after Nancy and Robin left with ridiculous clothing on them, Olivia sat in between Lucas and Steve, them and Dustin all squished on the sofa since they all had their eyes glued to Max. The brunette girl had her now new Walkman strapped on her pants belt, the headphones around her neck.

Steve's hand was enveloping hers rested on her knee, tapping her foot anxiously as they all watched the red-head in the corner.

"I know you guys are staring at me." Max suddenly muttered as she kept her line of vision forward, everyone quickly adjusting awkwardly while sharing glares.

"What, sorry?" Steve muttered, the four all returning to their tasks, pretending as if they weren't all just boring their eyes into her head. Olivia cleared her throat, sliding her headphones on her ears, although the song remained paused so she could actually hear the conversation.

"You said you needed something?" Lucas questioned, quickly reaching for his magazine.

"Just hanging out." Steve muttered casually as he tossed a softball into the air repeatedly, Olivia smirking at the three boys.

"How you think your eyes boring into the back of my head is protecting me from Vecna, I don't know." Max spoke again,collecting the papers in front of her. She then stood up, walking over to the four. Olivia furrowed her brows when she noticed the small stack of envelopes in her sister's hands as she approached.

Lucas, Dustin and Steve all remained in their own worlds, pretending to not do the only thing Max accused them of. Watching her.

She cleared her throat awkwardly as she stood in front of them, Olivia watching her sister regardless of trying to act casual.

"You can look at me now." The blue eyed girl muttered after gulping, the three boys quickly dropping their items and turning to face her. They all muttered their own sorries, Olivia scoffing with a smirk at them.

Max sighed deeply, staring at the papers in her hands nervously before exhaling, looking back up at Dustin. They all watched with furrowed brows as she approached him closer. "For you. For you. And, um, you." She then gave Steve and Lucas theirs, then turning to Olivia slowly.

"Uh..." She cleared her throat, the brunette noticing the glimpse of sadness in her sister's eyes. "Here." She muttered through pursed lips, holding out the fourth envelope in her hands. Olivia reluctantly reached out, confused and concerned for what it could be.

"Oh, and, um, give these to Mike, El, and Will." She told them, giving her older sister the remaining letters, the girl quickly noticing the other three still in her hands. "If you can get a hold of them again."

She nodded, passing the letters to Lucas to keep a hold of since he was closer with them than she was, her eyes soon after trailing down to the envelope in her own hands with the writing 'Olivia' on the front side. She frowned, bewilderment washing over her as she studied the glance Max was giving her.

When Steve and Dustin moved to the seal, Max quickly threw her hand up, shaking her head. "What are you doing? No, don't. That's not for now. Don't open it now." She frantically told them.

"Don't... Okay." Dustin nodded slowly, awkwardly placing the paper into his lap. Steve glanced over to Olivia, who was already looking at him with worry in her eyes. He pursed his lips before reaching to lace their fingers together.

"I'm sorry. What is this?" Dustin questioned, his brows drawn together in confusion. Lucas nodded in agreement, the boy also confused.

"It's, um..." Max suddenly dropped her eye contact from the four sitting down, pursing her lips nervously. Olivia's noticed her sudden demeanor change, her brows furrowing once more. "It's a fail-safe. For after."