Chapter 14

Olivia sat on the couch in Dustin's house, watching as Claudia Henderson walked into the house with a cat toy, clearly having no luck of finding their cat, which Dustin had told Olivia that Dart had killed him.

"Thank you so much, Mr. McCorkle. Thank you so much. You are a true lifesaver." Olivia watched Dustin beginning to put the phone down slowly. "All right, this was great." After hanging up the phone and lying to his mother about someone seeing Mews wandering around Loch Nora, Claudia left the house. As soon as the door was shut, Olivia got up from her spot on the couch, following Dusting outside to where he opened the storm cellar, then back inside to where he got himself hockey gear.

"Okay, let me get this straight. You've had Dart this whole time, and he got bigger." Dustin nodded as he put on the gear. "Then after lying to your friends, and me, about keeping him, he ate Mews and how what?"

"I'm gonna set a trap in the storm cellar so he doesn't try eating me next." Olivia nodded shakily. He then ran to the fridge, taking out two packs of bologna and giving one to Olivia.

The two began dropping pieces of bologna into a line, which led all the way outside to the storm cellar. They then walked to Dustin's bedroom, Olivia standing up against the wall. "All right, Dart. Breakfast time."

"This better work." Olivia muttered under her breath, shaking her head as she watched him slowly open the door.

The two quickly began running outside to the backyard, Dustin continuing to yell, "Oh, my God."

Olivia let Dustin run into the shed first, then the girl quickly running in after him before slamming the door shut behind her. They both began breathing heavily as they looked out of the crack of the door, seeing Dart walking down the stairs as he followed the food trail.

"Yes. Yes, yes, yes." Dustin whispered before they gave each other a silent high five. She quickly turned her head back to Dart to see him growling as he ate the food. He slowly walked to the storm cellar, seeing the food go down the stairs. As Olivia walked over to Dustin, she knocked over a broom, both of them cursing under their breath.

"Shit." She muttered, closing her eyes shut tught before they both moved away from the door. Dustin looked back out of the crack to see Dart looking straight into the shed, Olivia pushing him away from the door and against the wall with her.

They heard low growling before Olivia stepped forward slightly, prepared to run after Dart if he tried attacking them. Suddenly, Dustin began yelling before he bursted the door open, chasing the creature torwards the cellar.

Olivia ran past him, standing by the doors as Dustin held his hockey stick out. "Now!" Olivia shouted, Dustin then smacking the pollywog with his hockey stick. The girl quickly slammed the doors shut, sitting on them tiredly.

"God dammit, Dustin." She muttered, the boy going to sit next to her.

"I'm sorry. You ate my cat." Suddenly, the two broke out into a fit of laughter as she laid down on the storm cellar door, her chest heaving as she breathed heavily.

Olivia ran to the shed, grabbing a pole and sliding it between the handles so Dart couldn't get out before she helped the Henderson boy bury Mews. She grimaced as she put dirt over the dead cat, looking up at Dustin started talking.

"Guys, this is Dustin again. Does anyone copy? This is a code red. I repeat, a code red!" Dustin raised his voice, clearly annoyed with the lack of presence his friends had.

The two walked inside as Dustin grabbed chemicals from under the kitchen sink, still trying to contact his friends. Olivia stood behind him as he handed her everything he was taking out from under the sink. "I really need someone to pick up here. Hopper's MIA, and I've got a code red. Code red!" Dustin said before giving Olivia a pair of gloves, then putting some on for himself.