Chapter 42

They five vigilant adults had managing for almost an hour now, and their chance of getting out of the Upside Down was slowly but surely decreasing.

The demo-bats, as they decided to call they deathly creatures, were now swarming the dark and rumbling sky above them, only giving them no choice but to huddle under Skull Rock. They had came across it while running, and it quite frankly saved them from near death, if they'd stayed out in the clearing any longer.

They continued to crouch against the large mounds of rocks, Olivia in front of Steve as he hand held her back, while hers rested softly on his knee.

The bats continued to make God awful noises, sending them into high alert. Olivia's calves were burning severely, her mind racing with the thoughts of how much longer they would have to stay in the frightening position.

After what felt like hours, Robin was first to climb out from their spot, her hands out in front her to stabilize her shaken state. Eddie and Nancy followed, while Olivia stayed behind to help Steve stand up, his body still aching from the bites the bats took out of him.

He grunted, the girl holding his hands as she pulled him up to his feet, the brunette muttering a soft 'thank you'.

"Oh... Okay." Robin nodded through her voice cracking. "That was close."

"Yeah." Eddie agreed from behind her, his mouth letting out a long sigh of relief. "Too close."

"Oh, sh... shit." Steve suddenly mumbled tiredly before his body collided with the rock beside him, Olivia quickly to run to his side. He grunted as she moved to his side, the girl muttering his name in worry.

"Hey, what's wrong?" She quickly muttered, her hands moving to hold his arm. "Hey, talk to me."

"I'm fine. I'm fine." He muttered judt barely a whisper, but Olivia immediately heard it, and she knew him well enough to know he was lying. Especially since he collapsed against the rocks.

"No, no, you arent." She quickly shook her head, moving to his aid and motioning him to sit down, which she had to help him with. The others noticed them, quickly turning to watch in worry. "You're bleeding. Sit down."

Steve grunted as he leaned against the rock, his hand covering his wounds. Olivia looked up at his contorted face in fear before trailing her eyes back to his hand. She grabbed his hand softly, pulling his hand off, despite knowing he was in pain.

"It's okay." She whispered, her boyfriend nodding, trying to take in her words. "It's okay. Nancy, find me something to wrap around this." She didnt take her eyes off of her boyfriend as she sent orders to the curly haired girl.

Nancy quickly nodded as she frantically searched, but then finally laid her eyes on her shirt, the extra fabric thin enough to rip off. She sighed, walking over to Olivia as she teared at the seams of her shirt, the white fabric balled up in her hands.

Robin crouched down next to Olivia with her mouth agape while the brunette took the fabric from Nancy.

"Thanks." She smiled before moving towards Steve's abdomen.

"Okay. So the good news is I'm pretty sure wooziness is not a symptom of rabies. But if you start having hallucinations or muscle spasm or you start feeling aggressive, like you wanna punch me, let me know." Robin ranted as she sat beside Steve and Olivia, Steve letting out a soft chuckle, but quickly regretting it as he winced in pain.

"Robin."

"Yeah?"

"I kinda wanna punch you." He breathed out, to which Robin chuckled softly at his remark, glad that he still has a sense of humor, meaning he was most likely going to be fine.