Chapter 24

"Looks like somebody's home." Hopper stated, pulling into the long driveway of the Hess farmhouse, the smell of dew and smoke radiating the air. Olivia stuck her head outside the back window, her hand dangling from the window. She saw the windows of the farmhouse covered in wooden planks and the wood on the exterior slowly rotting over time. Immediatly, she grimaced.

"Uh, nice place." Olivia commented sarcastically, to which Hopper only scoffed flicking his cigarette into the dirt. As Olivia unbuckled and began opening the door, Joyce looked back at her.

"Are you sure you want to come with? You are welcome to stay here." She suggested, knowing that it could be dangerous for the teen after everything she has been through in the last two years.

Olivia looked out at the house, then back at Joyce. The teen shook her head, the action making her head throb slightly since her head still ached. "No, I'll go."

With that, Joyce, Hopper and Olivia all got out of the car, slowly and quietly walking up to the porch of the house. Olivia frowned, holding her flashlight up as Hopper slowly opening the door, it creaking loudly. He had his gun in his hand and his flashlight in the other.

As they walked through the house, they looked around to see nothing but a table with a mug on it. Everything was covered in dust and cob webs. Olivia turned her head to see a plaid chair, frowning in confusion.

Suddenly, Olivia looked up at the sound of distant creaking, not knowing which direction it came from. "Did you hear that?" Joyce questioned, realizing she wasn't the only one who heard the noise. The three wasted no time to continue walking around the house, all of them looking up at the sight of the ligh pulsing in and out. Olivia could recognize flickering lights from anywhere in Hawkins, suddenly the situation became more dier to her as she clutched her flashlight tighter, her knuckles turning white.

When they made their way down the hall and into the bedroom, they all stopped in front of a bed sitting in the middle of the room against the wall, Olivia's brows drawing closer together. The vibrating continued as Hopper looked around the room, confused as to how they were hearing the sound.

"Where's that coming from?" He questioned with a whisper, Olivia looking around at the floor. When she began walking while looking down, she heard the floorboards creak, and suddenly she had an idea.

The teenager suddenly dropped to the ground quietly, pressing her ear to the floor, hearing the vibrating stronger as she listened in. She gasped quietly before looking up at Hopper and Joyce.

"It's below us." She whispered, standing up quietly as Hopper frowned. Hopper quickly moved to one end of the bed, Olivia helping him without question. She moved to the other end, the two lifting the bed and pushing it up torwards the wall.

Olivia's mouth fell open slightly as she looked down in the darkness to see a set of stairs leading down into a lower level, her brows drawn together. Hopper held his gun up before slowly walking down the stairs, Olivia and Joyce following behind the older man. He had his gun held high as he led them down the stairs. As Olivia roamed her flashlight around the room, she grimaced, not knowing what to think. "What the hell?" She muttered to herself, quiet enough so nobody heard.

They heard distant clanking of metal, Hopper quickly turning to find the source. Olivia frowned as they then heard a man whispering, the three all walking out into the open area where tons of operators and mechanical machines were.

She felt her heart drop as they walked over to see two men kneeling down while working, the girl quickly recognizing it as Russian. Hopper and Olivia exchanged glances before the older man began yelling, causing Olivia's eyes to widen. "Hey, dipshits!"