Chapter 20

"Dart." Dustin muttered, looking down at the creature in front of them. The growling grew quieter as if the monster found peace in Dustin's voice. Olivia watched with wide eyes as she held Steve's bicep tightly, Dustin slowly approaching Dart.

As everyone began telling Dustin to get back as his steps grew closer to the Demo-dog, the curly-haired boy quickly shushed them. "Shh. Stop. Trust me please." Olivia scoffed, although the boy ignored her.

"Hey. It's me, it's me." Dustin warned Dart, pulling his bandana and goggles off. "It's just your friend, it's Dustin." The group exchanged glares of worry as he knelt down by the monster with a wide smile. "It's Dustin, all right? You remember me? Will you let us pass?"

The monster quickly opened up it's face and snarled at Dustin Olivia's eyes widening was she tried reaching for Dustin, Steve quickly pulling her back. She knew she had to let Dustin handle it since he could've befriended every other monster if he wanted to, but she still couldn't help but think Dart would stab him on the back... With it's teeth.

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry. I'm sorry about the storm cellar. That was a pretty douchey thing to do. You hungry? Yeah?" Dustin questioned to creature, reaching for his bag over his shoulder.

"He's insane." Lucas muttered with a head shake.

"Don't." Mike muttered, not wanting to scare Dart. Steve quickly shushed the group up before turning back to Dustin, the tallest boy holding his bat out in preparation.

"I've got our favorite. See? Nougat." Dustin smiled, holding out a Three Musketeers candy bar. He quickly opened the package as Dart grumbled, breaking it in half and slowly putting in on the floor out in front of Dart. "Look at that. Yummy. Here, all right? Eat up, buddy. Come on. Come on."

Dustin waved at the group to pass through while the Demo-dog was distracted, the group quickly walking past the animal and Dustin. The curly-haired boy out more of the candy in front of him before slowly stepping up. As he walked over to the group, Olivia saw his saddened expression on his face, her heart slightly hurting, but also beating fast.

"Goodbye, buddy." Dustin muttered sadly as he watched Dart take the last bite before turning around and pulling his gear back on.

"Let's go!" Olivia muttered loudly but also with a whisper as the group made their way back to the exit. Steve yelled for the group as Olivia ran behind the kids, all of them stopping as the ground rumbled underneath them, the kids and teens falling down. Olivia held Max's back up before they all slowly regained their balance to hear screeching in the distance.

"What was that?" The red head questioned.

They heard roaring before all spinning around, all of their eyes widened and their hearts surely beating in terror. "They're coming." Mike muttered, Olivia and Steve standing in the front.

"Run! Run!" Mike shouted, Olivia and Steve taking the lead as everyone shouted. Steve and Olivia both got ready to lift the kids up, grabbing the first kid, which happened to be Max. Steve grabbed her waist as he pushed her up, Olivia putting her hands around Max's ankles and pushing her feet up so she could quickly get her footing over ground.

"Come on! Come on!" Olivia shouted, the two teens then lifting Lucas up, followed by Mike. As Olivia and Steve prepared for Dustin, they all turned at the sound of monsters screeching. Olivia looked over at the taller boy, the two staring in one another's eyes as they knew what was happening.

"Oh, shit." Steve mumbled, shaking his head. Steve held the bat up in front of him as Olivia grabbed Dustin's arm, pulling him torwards her so he was pressed up against her. She held Steve's arm as they all stood pressed up to each other. Olivia squeezed her eyes shut, knowing that if they did attack them, she wouldn't have to see it.