Chapter 27

The girl had never once expected herself to be with Joyce Byers, Jim Hopper, and two other Russian speaking men, but when the chief prepared himself to make a phone call, she knew this was real. She didn't know who he was calling or what was going to happen after that, but she was hoping that it would have something to do with helping the kids, Steve  and possibly Nancy, Jonathan, if they were involved. "Two minutes, Jim." Murray warned, watching as Hopper dialed a number, Joyce and Murray next to him. "It's a secure line, but any longer than that and they could trace you."

"Yeah, I want 'em to trace me." Hopper said, standing up from his spot.

Murray's jaw slacked slightly and his eyes widened as he processed the chief's words. "What?" He muttered in disbelief, Joyce looking up at Hopper with clear worry.

After only seconds of waiting, Hopper turned his head as he heard a voice answer the call. "uh... This is Jim Hopper... uh... police chief, Hawkins." Murray looked at the man with wide eyes as it was clear he had no idea what he way saying, or how to get in contact with whoever it was for that matter. Olivia pursed her lips, he was clueless.

"I got this number from Dr. Sam Owens." Hopper stared blankly, waiting for a response. When he got one, he frowned. "Identification code?"

"You don't know it?" Joyce questioned with a concerned expression. The situation was giving Olivia once again, another head ache, and she commonly found herself experiencing such when she was put under immense pressure in situations like this. Let's just say... She hated it.

"You must be joking." Murray scoffed, Joyce bringing her hands up to cup her face in frustration.

"Oh, no, no, I got it, I got it." Hopper turned around in realization, Olivia groaning as she dropped her head, her knees brought up to her chest as she sat next to the sleeping Alexei. Hopper chuckled as he reached into his jean pockets, a smile on his face for what seemed like the second time since she'd been stuck with him and everyone else. "I got it."

"You wrote it down and kept it in your wallet?" Murray questioned in complete disbelief, trying to comprehend the situation. Hopper began waving the balding man off as he spoke, knowing if the person on the other end heard him he would waste no time to hang up. As Hopper pulled out a small note from his wallet, Murray uncontrollably tapped his wrist watch, warning the chief.

"'Antique Chariot.' Listen. Um, tell Owens that the Russkies are opening the gate. Now, he'll know what that means." Hopper explained. "Not about the Russkies, but about the gate. Tell him that there's an entrance at Starcourt Mall. I know how to get in, but I need backup, a lot of backup. Have him call me back here at 618-625-8313." Murray immediatly started fuming, waving his arms around uncontrollably as Jim as he shared his secret number with a government system.

As soon as Hopper hung up, he wasted no time to go sit down on the couch. Murray scoffed before dropping his arms, staring down in disbelief.

"So, now what?" Joyce questioned.

"Now, we, uh..." The chief moved to sit on the couch across from Olivia and the sleeping Alexei, pulling out a cigarette and a lighter. "We wait." The dark-haired girl scoffed, knowing it wasn't going to be enough if they wanted to save the kids and anyone else involved.

"You compromised me, Jim." Murray reminded, his mind still stuck on the fact that his private number was now out in the world. "You do realize that, don't you? I'm gonna have to relocate."

"I think that's the least of our problems right now." Olivia muttered, dropping her chin on her knee caps.

"How long do we wait?" Joyce questioned.