Chapter 41

The sky above them had increasingly gotten darker quickly, and by then, Dustin was running past all of the trees. The rest of the teenagers were forced to chase after him, since he insisted on knowing the way based on his trusting compass. Olivia was also forced to frustratedly get off of Steve's back and run with the rest of them, since it wasn't easy to run with a whole human on top of him.

"Shit, my feet hurt." Olivia complained as they suddenly came to a hult, Eddie quickly grabbing Dustin from behind so he didn't fall into Lover's Lake right in front of them.

Dustin panted quickly as he caught his breath, his feet right as the edge of the water line.

"Oh man." Steve sighed, stopping beside his girlfriend. "You gotta be shitting me."

"Yeah, seriously, dude." Olivia slumped her shoulders before rubbing the back of her neck with a grimace.

"I thought these woods were familiar." Eddie came to realization.

"Lover's Lake."

"This is confounding." Dustin muttered in amusement, his jaw dropped slightly as he stared out into the dark water. The moon above them emitted a small glare in the water, but that was the only source of light beside the one flashlight they had amongst the group.

"This is bullshit." Olivia retaliated, to which Dustin gave her a smug glare.

"Someone is very cranky today. Did you not get enough sleep last night?" He argued back, which was normal for the two since they acted as siblings all of the time.

"Actually, Dustin, no. But, y'know, thank you so much for the concern. I really appreciate it." She smiled over at him, to which he nodded back.

"Anytime." He sarcastically muttered back.

After their small 'argument' had come to an end and nobody was distracted by it, Max decided to speak up from her own thoughts. "There's a gate in Lover's Lake?"

"Whenever the Demogorgon attacked," Nancy thought out loud. "it always left an opening. Maybe Vecna's the same way."

"Yeah, only one way to find out." Steve dreadfully spoke as he glared nervously at Olivia, who was already wearing the same expression. They quickly found a covered boat behind some strangling bushes, a tarp covering it.

After Steve and Eddie had done the honors of hauling the small boat into the water, Robin went first.

"Yeah, I'm judt gonna do that." Robin mumbled to herself as she placed her hands firmly on Eddie and Steve's heads, using them to hold her up as she stepped carefully onto the boat.

"Yeah, that works too." Steve shrugged. "Next." Eddie and Nancy both climbed in at the same time, Steve holding his hand out for Olivia next.

As he held her hand to lead her onto the boat, she stepped close to Robin, making sure to sit close to her if they were fitting all of the oldest teens. "Gracias, chico."

Just when Dustin began stepping up was when Eddie quickly had complaints. "Hey, hey, hey, you trying to sink us? This thing holds four people tops, okay?"

The curly-haired boy stood with his mouth agape, utter shock radiating off of him. He stared at the teens, all of them agreeing with the metal-head.

"It's better this way, okay? You guys stay here with Max." Nancy ordered. "Keep an eye out for trouble."

"Uhm, no!" Dustin quickly shrieked. "Liv can stay with Max! It's her sister." He complained, pointing right at the brunette with pursed lips. She didn't know what to say. She had to help save said sister from this curse, and she wasn't going to do it by standing around.