Chapter 25

Olivia and the three others had been walking for almost two hours now, Olivia and Alexei walking behind Joyce and Hopper, who still hasn't stopped arguing since the minute they left Hess Farm. Olivia's head felt like it was going to explode, and her wrist had began bruising at the fault of the handcuffs. As they continued walking in the middle of nowhere, ducking under twigs and trees, Olivia could only think about Steve and her friends. She thought about how they must be wondering where she was, or if they were dealing with their own problems and forgot about her. Then she thought back to Steve. She wondered if he has wished she was with him or if he even was wondering where she was, or if he was still mad about their argument.

"I thought this friend of yours lived in Illinois." Joyce muttered, pushing a branch out of her way.

"He's not really a friend. He's more like an acquaintance." Hopper corrected, looking down at Joyce as he itched the back of his head. Alexei swatted at the bugs around him, causing Olivia's arm to lift up.

"Oh? Okay, well-"

"Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. Keep up, keep up, keep up." Hopper interrupted Joyce, grabbing the middle of the handcuffs and pulling Olivia and Alexei along, the two groaning as all they wanted was to sit down and eat something.

"Easy." Joyce muttered, grabbing Olivia's shoulder to prevent the two from falling as Hopper shoved them to the front of the group. "Okay, so this acquaintance... lives in Illinois? Correct?" Joyce questioned.

"Yeah, yeah." Hopper nodded frustratedly.

Olivia sighed, dropping her head back as she looked over her shoulder at the chief. "So we're walking to Illinois?" She questioned with a slight whine before scoffing.

"Yeah, yeah, we're gonna walk to Illinois. You know, I figured we'll get there by, like, Friday evening. I hope that works for your schedule. Jesus Christ, Liv. We're not walking to Illinois." His tone grew angered as he looked at the teenager with a clenched jaw.

"Well, then what are we doing?" Joyce questioned, grimacing as she thought of what would bring them back to Hawkins.

"I don't know, okay?" Hopper held his arms up, smiling in disbelief, knowing that they were the most unluckiest people to get stuck in this kind of situation. "I will- I will figure something out."

"Isn't there someone in Indiana who speaks Russian that-"

"You know what? I'm all ears, Joyce." Hopper suddenly began walking faster, grabbing Alexei by the arm and pulling him along, causing Olivia's to be tugged without a choice. "I'm all ears. I'm all ears!"

"I mean, fine. Just saying." Joyce muttered in snarkiness, to which Olivia could practically see Hopper rolling his eyes from beside her. Hopper ignored Joyce, swatting away bugs that were resting on his neck and face. "Gah!"

***

As the group continued to walk, Olivia found herself, once again, listening to the arguing of Joyce and Hopper. Yes, she loved the two adults dearly, but the constant bickering made her want to put some duct tape over their mouths and call it a day. She began getting more irritated as bugs and mosquitos began eating at her, the girl having to swat at least two dozen bugs away over the last two hours. Her and Alexei had gotten closer as the two longest hours of their lives passed, and through time, the girl even learned small Russian words, including her name.

"Oh, my God. Can you not walk so close?" Joyce complained, stepping away from Hopper as he grimaced.

"What?"