chapter 62:transmute

These many souls were actually unexpected to Roy.

Xeron had been really reckless. Had Roy been leading the army, his first thought would have been to retreat right away when facing the powerful elven troops that were three to four times his numbers. But Xeron still wanted to try using magic to reverse the situation. Moreover, he had aimed the Meteor Shower at the densest place on the battlefield. Thanks to Xeron’s magical help, Roy picked up a huge bargain.

The souls of demons usually could not remain in another world. After the demons died, the Ouroborus Mark would pull the demon souls back into the Abyss. As such, all the souls remaining on the battlefield were from the elves. Looking at the densely-packed souls, Roy estimated that there were over a thousand of them. Xeron’s big move had likely damaged one-third of the elves’ military strength.

Of course, Roy was not going to stand on ceremony with this unexpected joy. The souls that left their bodies usually died within a couple of hours or so. Depending on the size of the soul, how long it took to dissipate was different, and it had been quite some time since the battle ended. In Roy’s demon vision, some balls of light had already begun to disappear, so he hurried onto the battlefield to gather these floating souls into the system.

After a while, he finally managed to clean up the souls on the battlefield. He opened the system interface and saw that the number of souls had increased to 1,079!

F*ck! I’m rich!

Not long ago, he had used almost six hundred souls, but he did not expect to replenish them again in the blink of an eye and even exceed the original amount. Roy felt as though he had won the lottery.

Well, I shouldn’t get too excited. I have to first check whether these souls belong to me! Roy quickly calmed down and began to ponder. Xeron isn’t dead yet, and neither am I, so that means the demon contract is still in effect. According to the demon contract, ninety percent of the spoils of war will be handed over to Xeron after winning a battle, but according to the literal meaning, this should refer to a victory… The issue now is if it’s considered Xeron’s lost! I bet Xeron didn’t expect to suffer such a massive defeat.

Generally speaking, it was impossible for demons to have the chance to harvest the spoils of war after losing a battle, so when Xeron wrote the demon contract, he did not consider the situation after a defeat and did not give the corresponding explanation. However, Roy realized that something beyond the demon contract had happened. Because he had pretended to be dead and escaped, despite having lost this battle, Roy had still obtained a large number of souls!

Even Roy was a little puzzled. What is the current situation considered as?

After thinking for a while, Roy finally came to the conclusion that these thousand-plus souls could truly be regarded as his! There was no need to carry out the contract!

Because… Xeron was still being hunted down by the elves. Perhaps in the demon contract, this could count as the battle not being over, so it was the same nature as when Roy secretly snatched souls in battle. Before the battle ended, the souls he collected from the battlefield were all his!

With this thought, Roy finally heaved a sigh of relief. With so many souls in his hands, what Roy feared the most was that it was within the scope of the demon contract’s execution. In that case, it would have been terrible and mean that Roy would have had to hand over more than nine hundred souls.

Roy did not know if the souls stored in the system would be forced out of it when the demon contract was executed. He had never encountered such a situation before, so he did not know if the system was capable of isolating the effects of demon contracts. If it really could isolate the influence of demon contracts, then it would really be a treasure, and he could use this isolation function to cheat demon contracts!