chapter 114: ice age

Chapter 114 Ice Age

Seeing Roy destroy a warship in the blink of an eye, the captain of the two warships beside it became anxious.

“Damn! Why is the exorcism prayer useless?!”

“No, it’s useful! At the beginning, that demon’s body was indeed sluggish!”

“Right, but this demon is too powerful! Our priests don’t have enough strength to expel him forcibly!”

“It seems that this time, the Lord is truly testing us! Prepare the archers and ballistas!”

In this era where muskets and cannons were the means of long-range attacks, there were very few archers on ships. However, in order to complete the feat of ‘demon slaying,’ the Spanish not only deployed archers on every ship but also set up big killing weapons on the ships: ballistas used for whaling!

Perhaps some people might ask why they would use cold weapons like bows and ballistas instead of guns. This was because, be it bows or ballistas, their arrows could be soaked with holy water and even be cast with silver. These were all things in the records that could cause harm to evil creatures. If it were muskets, they would probably not even be able to fire after soaking in holy water…

The two warships moved closer to the ship Roy was on, and then a large number of arrows rained down on Roy on the deck. The attack power of these arrows was originally nothing to Roy. With his body’s current defense, even modern firearms might not be able to injure him, much less bows and arrows. However, the appearance of the priests earlier raised Roy’s vigilance, so instead of resisting the arrows head-on, he flew into the sky.

These arrows nailed onto the deck and failed to hit Roy at all. But the moment Roy flew up, the ballistas at the bows of the two warships fired. These ballistas could adjust angles, so they could actually hit targets in midair.

Faced with the rapidly approaching bolts, Roy turned and dodged. With his agility in the air, how could he be so easy to hit?

However, Roy clearly realized how well-prepared these Spaniards were. They had come prepared, they were regular troops, and they were not at all something that the pirates could compare with. In this situation, Roy could no longer land on their ships to attack them, and he even had to pull higher into the air so that he would not be shot by arrows.

Not long after Roy flew high, Fat Tiger took Cassandra and also flew up. Fat Tiger burned a ship, but Cassandra had been hit by many arrows with holy water, and she seemed to be in bad shape. The bones on her body showed signs of burning and eroding, and smoke was constantly rising. She looked very dispirited. Holy water might do limited damage to demons, but it was much more harmful to undead creatures. Cassandra was on Fat Tiger’s back and did not even have the strength to speak.

“Stay in the sky!” Roy instructed Fat Tiger. Then he waved his hand, and Frostmourne slashed at a warship below, striking with Icebound Strike!

The crescent-shaped black ice blade whistled down and slashed at a mast of this warship. After easily cutting it off, the ice blade landed on the deck and exploded, freezing most of the deck. The Spanish soldiers affected turned into pieces of shattered ice, and not even blood could splash out.

Roy stayed in midair and continuously slashed Icebound Strikes downward. However, it was only useful at the beginning. When the Spaniards recovered from their panic, they mobilized some soldiers that went to the decks with shields. Then they used these shields to block Roy’s ice blades.

This was indeed useful. The shields in their hands were equivalent to detonating the ice blades ahead of time. Although the soldiers holding the shields were inevitably frozen into ice sculptures, after they defended against the ice blades, their people could still stand on the decks.