Chapter 1.

Before Iron Man.

December 1, 1995. Stark Manor. 

Howard Stark is a man of shocking personality. He could be a sweetheart if he wants to and he could also be a statue void of emotions if he wanted. He mastered how to hide his emotions after the events of 1945.

Imagine his shock and surprise when he gets home from a two day trip that his wife refused to follow him to, only to find her in one of the guest room with a very tiny and pale looking child.

"What is going on here?" He spluttered.

"Shhhh. You'll wake her, keep your voice down Howard." His wife scolded without taking her eyes of the girl.

Howard was terribly confused. He knew his wife always wanted another child after their son- a daughter preferably, what his wife did not tell him was that she wanted to adopt a child. He barely made it out of raising his son, now she wants to raise another?

"Why is she here? You did not inform me about adopting any child. Look at how our son turned out to be. Do you really want to go down that path again?" He asked, unable to keep the emotions out of his voice.

Maria simply rolled her eyes and turned to her husband, taking her eyes of the frail child for the first time that day.

"You really are oblivious, aren't you? She's not our daughter, she's something way more special than that." She said, paying no mind to what her husband said earlier. She has been married to him for over thirty years now. She knew he tended to lash out whenever he was overwhelmed.

Howard breathed out in relief. Atleast he was not raising another child. The Lord know what he would do if-

"She's our granddaughter."

Howard was sure his heart had stopped beating and he had difficulty breathing.

"What are you saying?" He asked in disbelief. He took another look at the tiny girl on the big bed. He could see it now. The genetic brown hair and the that small nose that looked awfully like his son's.

Oh, Tony really did it this time.

▪️▪️▪️

Tony Stark entered the Manor with his long time buddy, James Rhodes. He expected to see his mum to be standing in the living room waiting to shower him in hugs and kisses. Even though he always pretended to hate it, deep inside, he was really grateful that one of his parents showed him love and attention.

To his surprise, he found his father standing in the living room with his arms folded as if he had been expecting him.

"You can leave now James, he'll be getting back to you later." Howard said trying as much as possible to keep his emotions in check. He had promised his wife that he would be as calm as he could be.

"Like hell will he." Tony retorted but Rhodes could feel the thick  tension hanging in the room. Whatever Tony had done this time, it was different. He quickly bid the duo goodbye and left.

Tony avoided his father's gaze, wanting to leave so he could find his mother to show him affection after such a long time. In the corner of his eyes, he saw Jarvis leaving the room. Great. Now he was stuck in a room with his arch nemesis.

"You have no idea how disappointed and angry I am at you right now." His father boomed but Tony simply rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, tell me something I don't already know." Tony mumbled under his breath. "Look, I've clearly had a long flight and I'm terribly jet lagged, so you can spare me the disappointment lecture, I really need my beauty sleep." Tony retorted as he made his way upstairs only to be pushed back by his father as he slammed a piece of paper on his chest.

"Wow, so we're writing letters to express our feelings now aren't we? This should be a lot more easier. Dear father…," He said sarcastically as his father shook his head in disappointment.

"I've had enough of your insolence and irresponsibility, now you'll have to take care of the mess you've created yourself." Howard boomed as he eyed his son for the last time and walked away.

Tony looked at the piece of paper that was scrunched up around the edges from what he guessed was his father's angry grip. He was really curious to see what the letter was about.

Little did he know that he was in for the greatest shock of his life.