22: Decades Old Riddles

I jump in shock when I noticed I'm not alone.

"Jesus. One day you're going to get shot in the head for that." I said as I tried to regulate my racing heart.

"Nice to see you too, miss Stark." He said adjusting the sleeve of his coat.

"What do you want Fury? Dad said he doesn't want to join your super secret boy band." I said as packed my hair into a messy ponytail.

"I'm not here for him, I'm here for something a little more interesting. But since you brought him up, I think I have some information on his whereabout." Fury says before standing up from the table he was leaning on.

After Rhodey left with he suit, dad took off a few minutes later and I've been calling since but he wasn't picking up. He turned off the location in the suit so I couldn't track him.

"You know where he is?" I ask turning to him.

"I know someone who does."

▪️▪️▪️

Fury gets down from the car and I see dad seated on a giant donut stuffing his face.

"Sir! I’m gonna have to ask you to exit the doughnut." Fury shouts at dad.

A few minutes later, I'm seated beside Fury glaring at dad.

"I told you I don’t wanna join your super-secret boy band." Dad said I could see he was avoiding my glare behind the stupid shade he was wearing.

"No, no, no. See, I remember, you do everything yourself. How’s that working out for you?" Fury mocked.

"It’s… It’s… It’s… I’m sorry. I don’t wanna get off on the wrong foot. Do I look at the patch or the eye? Honestly I’m a bit hung over. I’m not sure if you’re real of if I’m having…" dad says peeking over the shades. His eyes flickers to me for a brief second before turning back to Fury.

"I am very real. I’m the realest person you’re ever gonna meet." Fury replied.

"Just my luck. Where’s the staff here?" Dad asks taking another sip of his coffee.

"That’s not looking so good." Fury said and it was then I noticed the blueish rash on his skin. I'd seen them before but it was not as bad as this. I didn't think so much of it.

"I’ve been worse." Dad said and I hear the sound of heels. My attention is solely on dad's rash. What about it? Is that what he was hiding from me?

"We’ve secured the perimeter but I don’t think we should hold it for too much longer." The agent said. Wait, I've heard that voice before.

I look up to see dad's new assistant. I'm sure if there was something in my mouth, she would be drenched in it by now.

"You’re fired." I heard dad say.

I breathe out in relief. Thank goodness, now no one could come between dad and Pepper, then I could win the bet.

"That’s not up to you." Natalie, well if that's her name, says as she take a seat beside dad.

"Tony, Lisa, I want you to meet Agent Romanoff." Fury introduces.

"Hi."Dad mumbled.

"It's close. Nice work. Romanoff, Rushman. I'm impressed." I said.

"I’m a SHIELD shadow. Once we knew you were ill, I was tasked to you by Director Fury." Nata- Romanoff explains.

"Hold up a second. You're sick?" I said turning to dad. "Why wouldn't you tell me you were sick? I don't deserve to know if you're sick? What kind of sickness are we even talking about here? Cancer? If it is we can find something-" I rambled.