24: Flight.

"Dum-E, You, can we clean up this mess? You’re killing me. You know I don’t…" dad starts as JARVIS runs the test on new reactor.

"Incoming call with a blocked number sir." JARVIS announces.

"It's probably Phil." I say shoving another spoonful of ice cream in my mouth.

"Our phone privilege is reinstated. Lovely. What serving is this, fourth?" Dad asks eyeing my bowl as he leans over to pick up the call.

"Yeah, whatever. You drink enough of your green glob and you don't see me complaining. Coulson? I'm beginning to think you love me too much and can't stay away for too long." I joked because I don't understand why he would be calling back.

"Hey, Tony, how you doing? I double cycle." A vaguely familiar Russian accent seeps in, filling the room. I thought he died in that accident in jail.

"You what?" Dad asks.

"You told me double cycle’s more power. Good advice." Ivan Vanko's voice continues.

"You sound pretty sprightly for a dead guy." Dad says.

"You too." He responds and I frown. How did he know about that?

"Trace him." Dad says as he mutes his side of the call.

"Sir." JARVIS responds.

"Now, the true history of Stark name will be written." He says. He really does hate us.

"JARVIS, where is he?" I asked.

"Accessing the Oracle grid. Eastern Seaboard." JARVIS replies.

"What your father did to my family over 40 years, I will do to you in 40 minutes." Ivan says.

"Sounds good. Let’s get together and hash it out." Dad replies and I frown at the screen.

"Tri-State area. Manhattan and outlying boroughs." JARVIS continues.

"How is he in New York?" I ask myself.

"I hope you’re ready." He says as he ends the call.

"Call trace incomplete." JARVIS reports.

Now, who has the influence to free a prisoner from another continent and probably work for them? They also reside in New York?

I turn around to see an ad for Justin’s presentation. Dad stands up hurriedly picking up the new arc reactor.

"Sir..."

"Woah woah woah. We haven't tested that yet. We still have to- " I said trying to pry the reactor out of his grasp.

"You want to run some tests JARVIS, run them. And assemble the suit while you’re at it. Put it together now. Lisa, I have to do this "

"We are unclear as to the effects." JARVIS quips.

"But what if it doesn't work. One more use of the suit would kill you immediately." I tried to persuade.

"I don’t want to hear it JARVIS. I have to do this. People are in danger at that expo, it's my responsibility to save them." Dad says as he puts the reactor in, making it glow so brightly that I had to close my eyes. " That tastes like coconut. And metal. Oh wow, yeah."

▪️▪️▪️

I managed to reach New York in time for the expo. Someone forgot that not everyone can fly and left me behind.

"Happy, I'm fine." I tried to tell him.

"You just made your way across the country in your own, for the first time might I add. I think I'm allowed to worry." Happy replied peeping at me through the mirror.