29: Assemble.

I sit opposite of the star spangled man. He is holding a laptop watching the footages too. I hold the one in my hand tightly too, suddenly nervous.

I focused my attention on the screen trying to assimilate as much as I can, which is very difficult. I mean the guy was my first crush and my hero. Gah.

"We're about forty minutes out from base, sir." I heard one of the pilot say to Phil who'd been stealing glances at the captain too.

He stands up and walks towards him.

"So, this Doctor Banner was trying to replicate the serum that was used on me?" Captain America- Steve Rogers asks. I don't know, should I call him Captain or Steve or what?

"A lot of people were. You were the world's first superhero. Banner thought gamma radiation might hold the key to unlocking Erskine's original formula." Phil explained.

"Didn't really go his way, did it?" The captain asks.

"Not so much. When he's not that thing though, guy's like a Stephen Hawking." Phil says and the captain looks at him confused.

"He's like a really smart person." I say.

The captain turns his attention to me.

"I...um, I'm Lisa. It's a pleasure to meet you." I introduced standing up extending my hand out.

"Steve Rogers." He replies as he shakes my hand.

"Yeah. You were my hero growing up. Granddad was never not talking about you." I replied.

He looks at me trying to connect the dot.

"Howard Stark." I cleared his confusion.

"Ah. Is he- " he ask after a few seconds.

"Yeah, he died in an accident a few years ago." I replied.

"I'm sorry. He was a good man." He replies.

"Yeah, yeah he was." I replied.

"I gotta say, it's an honor to meet you, officially." Phil says after a few seconds of silence. Captain- or should I call him Steve, smiles at Phil and I can swear his heart skipped a beat.

"I sort of met you, I mean, I watched you while you were sleeping." Phil says and I glare at him. I can't believe he didn't tell me about him.

Steve looks down. He stands up, closes his laptop and walks to the side with Coulson following.

"I mean, I was... I was present while you were unconscious from the ice. You know, it's really, it's just a... just a huge honor to have you on board." Phil rambles.

"Well, I hope I'm the man for the job." Steve says going to stand by the cockpit.

"Oh, you are." I encouraged not looking up from the screen.

"Absolutely. Uh... we've made some modifications to the uniform. I had a little design input." Phil replies and that has me looking up. He turns avoiding my eye and I scoff.

"The uniform? Aren't the stars and stripes a little... old fashioned?" Steve asks.

"With everything that's happening, the things that are about to come to light, people might just need a little old fashioned." Phil says and I nod in agreement as Steve takes in the sentiment.

▪️▪️▪️

The jet lands on the helicarrier. Steve, Phil and I walk down the ramp into the busy area. I look around and spot a familiar face.

"Agent Romanoff. Captain Rogers." Phil introduces them.

"Ma'am?" Steve greets.

"Hi." She acknowledges Steve and I before turning to Phil. "They need you on the bridge. Face time."