40: One Night Stands.

"There. That should do it." I muttered as I stitched the last part to my suit cutting off the thread.

"Excellent job as always miss." JARVIS quips.

"Ah, thanks buddy." I replied as I placed the suit back in the case.

"Um... Miss? I suggest you turn on the TV." JARVIS suggests and I frown.

"Why?" I ask.

"The Mandarin has taken over every station in the country." He replied.

I pick up the remote and switch it on and I already regret the decision.

"True story about fortune cookies. They look Chinese, they sound Chinese, but they're actually an American invention. Which is why they're hollow, full of lies, and leave a bad taste in the mouth." The Mandarin's voice comes in as he smashes some cookies.

"My disciples just destroyed another cheap American knock-off, The Chinese Theater." I think I see a very familiar person being wheeled away and I stand up to my feet, picking up my phone.

I went to my call log, dialing the first number on the screen. He had to be fine. My hands were shaking. It didn't go through the first time so I tried again.

"Mr. President, I know this must be getting frustrating, but this season of terror is drawing to a close. And don't worry, the big one is coming; your graduation-" I turn off the TV as the person on the other line picks up.

"Oh Happy! Thank God you're safe. I just saw someone that looked so much like you on TV and..."

"I'm sorry but the owner of this phone was brought into our hospital yesterday-" The phone slips from my hand as I rush to the lab with tears in my eyes.

Dad looks up at me as I rush in, standing up when he takes in the tears streaming down my face.

"It's Happy." is all I'm able to say before dad picked up the car keys.

▪️▪️▪️

This is all my fault.

I shouldn't have encouraged him. I'm the super hero, I should have gone instead.

Now Happy is stuck in a hospital bed bandaged all over, barely conscious of his surroundings. He couldn't watch his favorite TV show that was on.

I couldn't sit down, dad took the seat when I declined about seven times. I stood behind him watching as the nurse walks in adjusting the drip and going to turn off the TV.

"Hi." Dad announced our presence. The nurse jumped before turning to us.

"Oh." She says in shock.

"Uh...mind leaving that on?" He asks.

"Sure." She replies and dad stands up. We've been here all morning, Pepper was starting to get worried.

"Sunday night's PBS 'Downtown Abbey'. That's his show, he thinks it's elegant." I spoke up for the first time, my voice groggy from not using it for so long. Or maybe it's the tears.

I clear my throat as I walked towards the door before pausing.
"One more thing...make sure everyone wears their badges. He's a stickler for that sort of thing, plus the guys won't let anyone in without them." I said as I turned to leave, dad right behind me.

"Smalls, we could pass the back. There are reporters outside." He says placing a hand on my shoulder.

"No. I'm fine." I responded. I just want to get to the car, get home to bawl my eyes out and wallow in guilt.