Chapter 3.

December 1, 1995. Stark Manor.

Tony sat on the chair occupying the space his mother had filled for hours. The little girl was yet to open her eyes or even wake up. Aside from her even breathing, the only proof that she was alive was the occasional mumbling and subtle movement of her hands that could not be noticed unless your eyes were focused on her.

Tony noticed them though. His eyes were trained on the girl. He was waiting for her to wake up so he could finally put his mind at rest. His mother had gone to sleep and Tony was left all alone, except from the occasional visit from Jarvis who looked as worried as the unexpecting father.

A barely there cough broke him out of his chain of thought as his eyes met a very familiar shade of brown. She had the same shade as his.

Tony was frozen in shock for a few seconds until the girl opened her mouth again, only to cough again. Tony sprang to his feet and poured a glass of water for her which she downed in one go.

"Hey." He mumbled, afraid that if he talked too loud he would startle the poor girl, causing her to choke or something.

The girl opened her mouth to speak but it was interrupted by Jarvis who walked into the room.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'll just come back later then" he apologized as he walked straight out.

"Hi." The little girl greeted, bringing Tony's attention back to her. "Are you my daddy?" She asks as she fiddled with the tube attached to her.

Tony opened his mouth to speak but was cut of by the girl's voice again.

"Is something wrong with me? What is this thing in my hand? What is it for?" She asked again fiddling with the tube. "I don't like it," she finally voiced out her opinion as she raised her hand to his face. "Can you take it off?"

"I think your father would be able to answer your questions if you'll just give him the chance to speak."

The father and daughter duo snapped their set of brown eyes towards Maria's softer shade of brown. She smiled at the sight of the nice woman who had rocked her back to sleep.

"Maria." She exclaimed as Tony raised his eyebrow at both of them in question.

Maria simply smiled at the girl and made her way to seat beside the small girl on the bed. "How are you honey?" She asked, brushing the girl's strand of hair behind her ear.

"I'm fine. I want to remove the funny rope and see your house." The little girl gushed excitedly.

Tony simply stared at the duo, unable to believe his eyes. He'd never seen anything as perfect as his daughter.

"We'll have to wait for the doctor before you can remove the funny wire. Now, be a good girl and say hello to your father." Maria said lovingly.

Melissa looked at the strange man, that was sitting in the chair. He didn't look like the kind of men that her mummy usually brought home. He looked clean and he didn't look like he'd hit her if she got too close.

She lifted her small arms in the man's direction, signaling for him to come close. The amused young man simply played along wondering what she was up too.
Melissa wrapped her arms around the man's neck, pulling him to her. Tony tensed a little not used to that amount of physical contact.

"Can I call you daddy? My Elena calls her father daddy too?" She whispered in his ear.

Tony chuckled at her antics, playing along, he whispered back," yeah and I'll call you... hmm...what can I call you, Smalls. That's it, I'll call you Smalls."

The little girl pulled her head back and nodded rigorously at her daddy.

Maria watched the both of them from the door post, the both of them hadn't noticed her leaving the bed. She stood beside Jarvis, who was watching the duo quietly.

"I think they're going to be just fine, ma'am." He commented.

"Yeah, yeah, they'll be just fine." She replied as the father and daughter giggled at something they'd said.