6: Bombs and explosions.

"Why did you have to loose your bet. You had one job, just one. Don't drink during the flight." I whine at Rhodey.

We made a bet that dad wouldn't be able to convince him to drink, I had faith in him. I trusted him enough that I went to sleep only to be woken up this morning by a very hungover Rhodey.

"Tony is a very persistent person." was all he said as I entered the vehicle after him.

I was paying the price for my bet by coming with Rhodey instead of dad.

Speaking of dad, he already left about twenty minutes ago. Rhodey had to stay behind to settle some military stuff and I had to wait behind for him.

The vehicle was awfully quiet. Too quiet. I tap my fingers on my thigh trying to calm my nerves. The radio of the van suddenly screeched.

"Mayday, mayday...... we're........I repeat we're being attacked" an urgent unclear voice came in through the system, sounds of guns and explosions in the background.

My heart suddenly stopped beating. Dad.

"Turn around and return to base. Send in search and rescue to the location. We have to protect Miss Stark." I heard someone say but I cannot register who it was.

Did this vehicle just become smaller, because it suddenly seems so.

"Lisa, Lis, calm down. You're okay. You're fine. You're safe. Just breathe with me." I heard another person say. Just breathe in, out, in, out.

I followed the pattern until I was able to breathe again.

"Rhodey, d-d-dad? Is he going to be fine? He is going to be fine right?" I asked choking up with tears. I couldn't loose dad too.

"Lis. This is Tony we're talking about here. I'm sure he's fine." Rhodey reassures me but I'm having a very hard time believing his words.

"I'll have to take you home now. I can't leave you here like this. We'll go to the airport now, I'll send my men out there to look for your dad and I promise you we won't stop until we find him." Rhodey continues but all I could do was nod.

He kept talking like he was still alive, what if the attackers killed him? What if one of the bombs exploded right in front of him and-

A shiver ran down my spine at the thought of that.

I hope he's alive out there.

▪️▪️▪️
Thirty six hours earlier.

"Tony Stark. Visionary. Genius. American patriot. Even from an early age, the son of legendary weapons developer Howard Stark quickly stole the spotlight with his brilliant and unique mind. At age four, he built his first circuit board. At age six, his first engine. And at 17, he graduated summa cum laude from MIT. Then, the passing of a titan. Howard Stark's lifelong friend and ally, Obadiah Stane, steps in to help fill the gap left by the legendary founder, until, at age 21, the prodigal son returns and is anointed the new CEO of Stark Industries. With the keys to the kingdom, Tony ushers in a new era for his father's legacy, creating smarter weapons, advanced robotics, satellite targeting. Today, Tony Stark has changed the face of the weapons industry by ensuring freedom and protecting America and her interests around the globe." The voice narrated as slides after slides rolled on the screen.

Thundering claps filled the air and I'm forced to join them. I can't believe I'm here.

Rhodey climbs up to the stage prepared to give his speech.
"As liaison to Stark Industries, I've had the unique privilege of serving with a real patriot. He is my friend and he is my great mentor. Ladies and gentlemen, it is my honor to present this year's Apogee Award to Mr. Tony Stark. Tony?"