26: The Avengers Initiative.

Dad and I are sitting at a table waiting for the sneaky man to arrive any moment. We were surrounded by security and screens. A report was going on about a rampage on one of the screens and the SHIELD logo was on another.

A couple of files were placed in front of us. Now, you don't do that kind of thing in front of me. Leaving confidential files and whatnot unattended to in front of me.

I had the curiosity of a cat and I just can't help myself once something strikes my interest.

I pick up one of the files. 'AVENGERS INITIATIVE PREMLIMIARY REPORT' was boldly written on it. I go to open it but I was stopped by a hand pressing it back to the table.

"I don’t think I want you looking at that. I’m not sure it pertains to your dad anymore. Now this on the other hand, is Agent Romanoff’s assessment of him. Read it." He says as he hands me the file. I open it, skimming over it and I chuckled. Dad looks at it over my shoulder as I start to read it out.

"It says here 'Personality overview. Mr Stark displays compulsive behaviour.'" I read out.

"In my own defence, that was last week." Dad defends.

"'Prone to self-destructive tendencies.'" I list out again.

"I was dying. I mean, please. Aren’t we all?" Dad counters and I shrug.

"'Textbook narcissism'? I agree to that one. Okay, here it is. 'Recruitment assessment for Avenger Initiative. Iron Man? Yes.'" I read out.

"I gotta think about it." Dad says and I look up at Fury in confusion.

"Read on." He urges.

"'Tony Stark not… recommended'? That doesn’t make any sense. They're the same person." I explained.

"How can you approve me but not approve me? I got a new ticker. I’m trying to do right by Pepper. I’m in a stable-ish relationship." Dad says and I close the file placing it back on the table. Fury picks up another file and tosses it to me.

I look up at him in confusion.

"What? You think he was the only one being assessed?" Fury asks.

I open the file to feed my curiosity.

"Personality overview.
Miss Stark appears to be impulsive when put in tight situations. Well in my defence, I couldn't just seat back and watch my dad get beaten to a pulp.
'Prone to self distructive tendencies.' I guess that runs in the family.
'Although the source of her ability is unknown, she was able to adapt to it well in a short amount of time.'" I read out.

"Skip that part, go to the real thing." Dad says and I nod scanning through the page.

"Ah. 'In light of the above, recruitment assessment for Avenger Initiative. Miss Stark? Yes.' " I read out, dropping the file. Fury walks round and rest against the table by dad's  chair.

"Which leads us to believe at this juncture we’d only like to use you, Tony as a consultant. Lisa could join in, its her choice." He says and both men turn to look at me.

"What? No no no. I'm not joining anything. I don't think I'm ready for a super hero lifestyle. Besides, I don't even know what this is. Maybe in the next five years or something." I said as my hands glowed up. I could control them already, after a week of practice.

Dad stands up and I follow suit. He shakes Fury's hand.
"You can’t afford me." He says as we turn to leave, but turns around again.    
"Then again, I will waive my customary retainer in exchange for a small favour. We are being honoured in Washington and we need a presenter." Dad asks.

"I’ll see what I can do." Fury replies as we turn to leave.

▪️▪️▪️

"It is my honour to be here today to present these distinguished awards to Lieutenant Colonel James Rhodes, Miss Lisa Stark and Mr Tony Stark, who is, of course, a national treasure." Senator Stern presents. He gets down from the podium pinning on medals and shaking hands with Rhodey and dad. Dad lets out a yelp when he pins dad's in.

"You're not going to prick me, are you?" I ask.

"I don't know what you're talking about. Miss Stark. Thank you for such as exceptionally distinguished performance. You deserve this." He says as he pinned the medal on the jacket of my suit. "Let’s get a photo." He says we all turn towards the camera.

Aunt Peggy would receive a visit soon. I thought as I smiled for the camera.