34: Performance Issues.

I slip on the comms as agent Barton, Nat, Steve and I enter the  quinjet. A young attendant comes up to us.

"You guys are not authorized to be in here-"

"Son... just don't." Steve cuts him off.

Agent Barton walks to the pilot seat and shifts a few buttons, soon, we're taking off behind dad.

"Are you guys going to tell us what's going on?" Nat asks after a few seconds of silence.

"Loki's at the tower. He's going to power the Tessaract with the reactor." I said, adjusting the gauntlet in my hands.

"Wow" I heard Nat whisper.

"Lis, the barrier around the cube is pure energy and I can't get through it. I'm going to go for plan B." Dad's voice comes in through the comms. I had the feeling it was connected to only me.

"We're on our way." I replied.

"You better get here quickly, you're the one that's good with this kind of shit." Dad says into the comms.

"Just try to keep him distracted, I'm on my way." I said as I stood up from where I was sitting beside Steve.

I press the button to open the ramp.

"Dad couldn't stop the cube so he's trying to distract Loki, I'm going down to help." I said in one breath over my shoulder, I could feel the energy surging through my veins.

"Lisa, wait-" Steve calls out but I'd already jumped out.

The wind was blowing heavily in  my face and ear, it was so relieving. Tendrils of falling strands of hair was getting in my face but it was comforting. I could see the tower now, I land in the helipad.

I could feel the energy of the Tessaract a few feet away. I could also see Loki staring at me through the window. Seriously what's with this guy and staring? It is starting to get creepy.

"…But, let's do a head count here. Your brother, the demi-God; a super soldier, a living legend who kind of lives up to the legend; my daughter with the extraordinary abilities, a man with breath-taking anger management issues; a couple of  master assassins, and you, big fella, you've managed to piss off every single one of them." Dad says.

"That was the plan." Loki said with a snide smile.

"Not a great plan, buddy." I said, making my presence known. I walk behind the bar to stand beside dad.

"Yeah, when they come, and
they will, they'll come for you. Drink?" Dad asks as he subtly slides two bracelets in front of me.

"I have an army." Loki counters.

"We have a Hulk." Dad burst out. I slid the bracelets back to his front. I'm not wearing that.

"I thought the beast had wandered off." Loki replies.

"You're missing the point. There's no throne, there is no version of this, where you come out on top." Dad says glaring at me subtly. He walks towards Loki, holding a glass of whiskey in his hand.

"Maybe your army comes and maybe it's too much for us, but it's all on you. Because if we can't protect the Earth, you can be damned well sure we'll avenge it." Dad finishes standing a few feet away from Loki.

Loki walks up to dad slowly, scepter in hands. My hands glow up in anticipation. I couldn't just act without dad's signal.
"How will your friends have time for me, when they're so busy fighting you?"

Loki taps dad on the chest with his scepter. Ping! The sound of the metal tip of the scepter clanking against dad's arc reactor.

Loki stops in confusion, trying it again but the same result. I always knew the reactor was for a reason, I smile inwardly.