Chapter 75

Sienna Falls, Montana, 5 days ago...

"You need what?" Ulysses Morison bellowed.

"You want me to bring you the boy, I am going to need power that rivals your own," Tarik said. "The Demon's Spirit."

The first undead man in the world scowled something fierce. Tarik knew that the only reason he still had his head was because he knew where Benjamin was hiding.

"You're trying my patience," Ulysses said through gritted teeth.

"Believe me when I say that I want nothing more than to hand-deliver the boy to you, my lord. It's my reason for living . . . and will be my reason for dying."

Ulysses thoughtfully eyed him before slowly making his way over to a large vanity dresser and picking up a crystal glass jar, half-filled with a dark liquid.

"Is that the legendary elixir?" Tarik said. "Hardly secluded, don't you think?"

"I need not hide things in my own home," he said, grabbing a chalice. He poured no more than a sip of the ancient liquid inside of the chalice and made his way back over to Tarik.

"That's all?"

"But a sip is all one needs." He handed Tarik the chalice.

Tarik eyed the liquid cautiously before swiftly taking the sip, which immediately caused him to gag. He wouldn't wish a taste so foul on his worst of enemies.

"Careful not to cough up too much," Ulysses said. "You're not getting a second sip."

"This stuff's disgusting."

Ulysses returned to his vanity dresser and replaced the Demon's Spirit elixir.

"Are you aware of your fate if you fail to bring me the boy?"

"Your desires are but my own, my lord. I assure you that Benjamin Crawford will be at your mercy within the next five days."

"Five days?" Ulysses bellowed, his flesh rotting. "Are you insane."

"Please, my lord. At most, five days will be all I need. Grant me that much grace and I can almost assure you I'd have the boy in my possession."

"And if five days passes?"

"You needn't worry, my lord." He pulled out a candle and a map and pulled off a ring. "All you have to do is get yourself a witch who can perform the most basic location spell and you'll find me. There's no shortage of witches in your following so that shouldn't be an issue."

Tarik set his ring on the table and chanted quietly, causing the ring to disappear.

"The ring will present itself when the time is right." Tarik Salib knelt before his undead lord. "I'm ready to die for you, my great lord."

In a split second, everything went dark.

* * *

One more day until Ulysses Morrison is supposed to be here in Sancova, Oregon. Fawn didn't get a chance to tell everyone about his alleged arrival last night because of what happened. I'm scared, but I'm ready for anything...

-Asche

* * *

He was sitting at the foot of her bed when she woke up, staring out into the bright day. Lainey quickly sat up and reached for her phone.

It was well after noon.

"How'd you sleep?" Benjamin asked without turning away from the window.