Chapter 85

(a/n: I apologize for the later than usual update. I've been locked out of my phone for over a week and I do most of my writing away from home. I'll do my best to play catch-up and thanks for your patience!)

---

He awoke with a jump as thick tape was ripped from his face. When his eyes focused, he realized he was still inside the storage unit.

"I want you to witness the inception of the revelation, Eliezer."

David, the boy who called himself the Messenger, stood over him. Lazer attempted to move when he realized he had been bound by rope.

"H-How long have I been here?"

David, who was toying with a paper dove, smiled.

"You ever wondered if we become animals when we die? I always wanted to be something that could fly. . . . I envy birds."

Lazer narrowed his eyes at the crazed-looking boy.

"There's something seriously . . . wrong with you," he hoarsely said.

He stood to the side and stretched his arm to the center of the storage unit.

"Your friend here is going to sacrifice himself to reveal the threat these demons impose on us.

Lazer looked past David to see Darien, who was sitting in a chair, also bound by rope. His face was severely bruised, his lip bloody, his eye black. The pigtailed undead girl sat opposite him. She was extremely feral, snapping her teeth at him, attempting to lunge at him from her bindings.

"Darien . . . ," Lazer whimpered. He leered at David. "What did you do to him?"

"Shut him up is what I did." David grinned. "He should be honored to offer his life for this grand and noble cause. Was it not your goals to expose these demons?"

"Somebody dying wasn't part of the plan!"

"And that's why I'm here! You see, humans only react to tragedy." The look in his eyes changed. They became darker. "How long have I been streaming, trying to warn the world about these abominations?" He was yelling now. "How long have I had video evidence of these demons' existence on my website? Only for them to be denounced by mainstream media, tubers, tweeters? It's unfortunate, but somebody has to die. Blood needs to be shed, and it has to be live for the world to witness. That kind of brutal impact will surely raise awareness."

"Then sacrifice yourself!" Lazer yelled.

"Oh, but I have been, Eliezer!" He began pacing. "Ever since I've founded the Ashen Doves, I've been risking my life by exposing these demons. Clearly I have a greater role. Darien is only fulfilling his." He gave a sinister glare. "And soon after, you'll be fulfilling yours."

"Wh-What are you talking about?"

"Darien is going to give his life. You're going to give your human life."

Lazer began vigorously shaking his head.

"No . . . no you can't be serious--"

"Oh, I'm very serious, little Lazer. Don't worry, you won't hate yourself forever. I'll do you the favor of killing you when the time is right."

"You sick bastard," Lazer seethed.

David shrugged.

"I'll take it." He raised his hands. "The day of revelation is among us! We all should be proud of how far we've come to make this day a realization." His dark eyes gleamed at Lazer. "Shame the two of you won't be here to witness it." He pulled a thick roll of tape out of his pocket. "In one week, the livestream begins."