Chapter 38

When Antonio entered Club Cormorant, all eyes landed on him. He headed straight for the bar, ignoring the witch drinking alone in a corner. He took a seat at the bar and a bartender approached him immediately.

"What can I get you?" she asked.

"Actually, I'm here for information," Antonio said.

"What?" the bartender asked, looking confused.

"Do you know a Benjamin Crawford?"

"Never heard of him," she responded. "Pro tip; we serve drinks, not information."

Antonio grinned.

"I'll take a shot of your finest drink."

"Feeling adventurous, are we?" the bartender said. "Coming right up." She quickly formulated the shot and served it to him. "Don't forget to tip."

"Right," Antonio said, standing and making his way over to the witch's table. They maintained eye contact the entire time. When he reached the table, he sat down and slid the shot toward her. "Hi. I'm Antonio. Peace offering."

"There is no peace with your kind," the witch sternly said, staring at him with piercing dark-brown eyes. "You have gall to approach me."

"You wouldn't cause an unnecessary scene, would you?" Antonio said, smirking. "Keep your magic tucked away--I'm not here to cause trouble. Soon as I find who I'm looking for, I'm gone."

"To continue your savagery elsewhere?"

"Undead man's gotta eat, right?"

"The dead weren't meant to walk. It wasn't part of Nature's plan. You're, quite literally, the embodiment of a curse on humanity."

Antonio grabbed the shot glass and quickly drained it.

"Shame I can't enjoy life's simple pleasures," he said, slamming the shot glass on the table. "Tell me, witch. Is it not natural for a man to preserve his own life?"

"You aren't a man," the witch seethed.

"You're correct." Antonio sneered. "No, I am not a man. Far superior." He leaned closer. "You witches solicit a war with your ideals of genocide. I assure you, my kind won't just lie down and allow you to exterminate us. Don't continue to throw your lives away over an affair so frivolous." He stood. "I have a feeling I'll be seeing you again."

"Sooner than you think," the witch responded.

* * *

Everybody stood in a circle in the center of the living room. Fawn nervously glanced around the livingroom. Monica, Leah, and Ashleigh looked nervous.

At least she wasn't the only one.

"Let us hold hands," Jules, who stood between her nieces, said.

Mama took Fawn's hand and Fawn took Ashleigh's. Nox grabbed Ashleigh's hand and Freya on the opposite side of the circle took Nox's and Leah's hand. Monica, who stood between Leah and Jules took both their hands and Jules grabbed Vivienne's hand. Vivienne, who was the last to connect the circle, grabbed Mama's hand. And Fawn instantly felt an incredible surge of energy flow throughout her body. Energy so strong, she almost dropped to the floor. All eyes landed on Fawn as her knees buckled. She quickly regained her composure.