Chapter 91

Benjamin stared warily at Mama following her offer to help defeat Morrison.

"I can sense your distrust," Mama said, "but I can assure you our allegiance."

"Why?" Benjamin asked quietly. "Members of your coven tried to kill me--twice. Why do you want to help me now? And why should I trust you?"

"With Ulysses we have a common goal," Mama said. "You stand no chance against him alone, you know that. Have faith and trust in us. Let us help you."

Benjamin stared past Mama, at Fawn and the rest of the coven.

"I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying," he said. "Let's say against all odds we defeat Morrison." He eyed Mama again. "We go back to warring with one another again?"

"We can be at peace only if you pledge that no more people meets death by your hands," Jules said, stepping forward. "We mean it--not a single person. Or we're right back where we started."

Benjamin looked at Jules.

"I don't feed on people anymore. Unfortunately, I can't speak for all dead walkers."

"Then those dead walkers shall pay for their abominable deeds."

"I can't let you kill my friends," Benjamin said. "They're all the family I've got."

"Then what do you suppose we do?" Jules said through gritted teeth, clearly vexed. "You expect us to grant your friends special privileges to feed as they please?"

"They've been feeding on animals," Benjamin replied. "They're working on it, okay?"

Vivienne scoffed.

"'Working on it', he says. Meanwhile Little Jimmy loses his mommy to a supernatural appetite."

Benjamin looked at Vivienne.

"Look, I understand your contempt, but not all of us chose to be dead walkers. We're victims, too. Just as much as the humans that died by our hands."

There was a moment of silence.

"Touching . . . but no," Vivienne said. "Your words reek of deception."

"Enough!" Freya said, stepping forward and taking everyone by surprise. "Benjamin, for the record . . . ," she glanced nervously back at everyone before looking at him again, "not all of us are here to give you a hard time. You're good with me. I mean . . . I was at your mercy. . . . And you let me live."

Benjamin gave her an earnest smile.

"Thank you. Miss Redhead."

"Freya," she corrected. "You may call me Freya."

"I'd like to thank you, too," said Leah, stepping beside Freya. "Freya's my sister and best friend."

"I'm not the monster most make me out to be, Leah," he said. His stare swept across them all. "I'll be the first to admit that I've done things I'm not proud of. But those days are long gone and I plan to keep it that way." He looked at Freya again. "I'm grateful you see that."

"If Freya's cool with you, I'm cool with you," said Monica.

Asche shrugged.

"Sure. Whatever. We're cool. Are we going inside? It's cold."

"Follow me," Benjamin said as he turned to make his way toward the front door.

"I'm not going to pretend like I don't want to kill you," came Nox's venom-filled voice.

Benjamin stopped and turned in Nox's direction.

"You don't have to," he said. "Just don't be stupid enough to act on it."