Chapter 106

Eric Isaac's funeral was way more crowded than Lainey had expected. She didn't expect to see essentially all of Sancova High. Teachers, students, staff and of course Eric's family. All seats were filled and people were beginning to align themselves against the walls. Lainey couldn't help but wonder: when her time comes, will this many people care to say goodbye?

Probably not.

The staring and whispering started not thirty seconds after Lainey and Fawn entered the funeral home. Fawn must've noticed Lainey's apprehension.

"Don't worry about anybody else," she whispered. "You're here to say goodbye to Eric. He's all that matters."

Lainey nodded.

"I know." She was assuring herself as she was assuring Fawn. "I know. Thanks, Fawn."

Funerals has always been extremely tense for Lainey. Seeing the open casket at the end of the long aisle alone was almost enough to make her consider abandoning the ceremony altogether. And no matter how hard she tried not to stare at the person inside, her eyes always found their way back to the casket. And the deceased never looked like themselves. And Lainey didn't want her last memory of a family member or friend to be that of a dead stranger.

"Lainey?" a familiar voice whispered. "Oh my God, it is you!"

Lainey turned to see Eric's older sister, Megan, making her way over from a small crowd near the entrance. She had dark eyes and light brown hair, just like her brother.

"Hey, Megan." They hugged. "It's been too long."

"How have you been?"

Lainey sighed.

"Good, thanks. It's been . . . an interesting couple of weeks."

"Yeah, I know. Especially with those Feral Murders going on nowadays." She solemnly shook her head, eyes closed. "You just never expect things like that to happen to family."

"I'm so sorry," Lainey said. "Eric deserved far better."

"The police had better find out what's going on," Megan whispered, her voice tight. "They had better because . . . because . . ." Her face contorted with grief.

"Come here," Lainey said, hugging Megan again.

"It's their fault my brother's gone," she sobbed into Lainey's shoulder.

"It gets easier with time," Lainey whispered. "I assure you it gets easier."

Megan sniffed and regained her composure.

"I can't be seen like this. I have to be strong for my parents." Megan noticed Fawn. "Hey . . . I don't believe we've met."

"I'm sorry, this is Fawn," said Lainey, gesturing to her with both hands. "She's my best friend."

"Nice to meet you, Fawn."

Fawn nodded.

"Likewise. Also, it's okay to cry. It doesn't make you weak . . . it's part of the healing process."

Megan nodded.

"Maybe I should adopt your perspective. It sure would make dealing with all this a lot easier." Megan returned her attention to Lainey, a pained expression on her face. "I'm sorry for what Eric did to you, Lainey--"

"No, Megan--please. We don't have to talk about that."

"I know. It's just . . . you're a good person. And I hate it when the universe screws over good people."

Lainey almost smiled.

"Yeah, well . . . the universe had far bigger plans for me."

"Good for you." Megan chirped. "Happy to hear." She looked over Lainey's shoulder. "Mom and Dad are up front. They'd be happy to see you."