Chapter 34

He traveled all the way to Oregon for one reason.

To find Benjamin Crawford.

The man dressed in all black entered a gas station mini mart somewhere on the outskirts of Sancova, Oregon where he was greeted by a perky blonde girl with pigtails behind the register counter.

"Howdy. How may I help y'all?" she cheerfully said.

"I'm looking for someone," the man said. "I heard Sancova was a small town. Do you know where I could find a Benjamin Crawford?"

"I'm sorry, can't say that I do," the girl responded. "But there's a bar in town where everybody who knows everybody in Sancova hangs out. It's called Club Cormorant. Maybe you could ask around there."

The man took off his dark shades and leaned against the register counter.

"A lot of funny things has been going on in that town lately," he said. He glanced at the girl's name tag. "Helena."

"Funny? What do y'all mean?"

The man leaned closer and took the girl's hand, causing her to gasp in surprise.

"People dying left and right. All with severe flesh wounds. A couple of the bodies even found with their hearts placed in their hands. Funny, no?"

"Well, I don't know if I'd call it funny," the girl said. "It's all rather morbid and depressing. I can't even watch the news anymore without reaching for tissues."

The man gave the girl an eerie grin and stood, her hand still in his.

"The name's Antonio," he said, bringing her hand to his lips. "I appreciate the help."

"O-Oh, it's quite alright," the girl said with a nervous smile. "Don't mention it."

The man smiled back, and seconds later, his skin appeared to decay and his dark eyes became a foggy white.

"Oh, my Lord!" the girl shrieked as she attempted to break free of the man's grasp. But the man didn't budge. Not even a little bit. He opened his mouth and bit deeply into the girl's arm, causing her to scream in great agony. Blood effortlessly seeped through the fresh wounds and down her arm. "My Lord! Please, don't hurt me!"

With his left hand, the man grasped the girl's neck and ruthlessly tightened his grip until she began desperately scratching at his arms. Her face red and wet, she slowly became limp as her final breaths escaped her.

The man released the girl and her body sunk behind the counter.

"Enjoy your new life, Helena," he said before exiting the mini mart.

***

***

Mama had set a kettle full of water on the stove and a coffee mug with instant ground coffee in it on the table. Fawn's first magical task was to make a hot cup of coffee. Something Fawn couldn't do without the assistance of magic. Mama was standing behind her, clutching her shoulders tightly as they stood before the stove.

"Okay, baby," Mama whispered excitedly as she rubbed Fawn's shoulders. "You can do this. Remember, just focus on your will. Nothing else. If you believe that Nature will carry out your will, It shall if It see it fit. Go ahead."

Fawn nodded and glared at the stove.

Er. Light. Fire. Turn on, stove.

Nothing happened.

Please?

Again, the stove did not light.

"It's not working, Mama," Fawn said.