Chapter 88

When Fawn said the name of the first undead man in the world, Benjamin's expression quickly became that of fear.

Fear.

It was the first time Lainey's seen fear on Benjamin.

"Ul-Ulysses Morrison is . . . c-coming here? Tonight?" he stammered.

"There's no doubt he's coming after you," Fawn said. "And he's not coming alone."

Benjamin began pacing, his stare unfocused. It was as if a million different thoughts flashed through his mind in the span of a few seconds.

He finally stopped.

"I'm not running. I've been running for over sixty years. He wants me? He's going to find me tonight."

Benjamin disappeared in a split second, leaving Fawn and Lainey staring at the empty doorway.

"This is bad," Lainey whispered, breaking the silence. "This is bad for all of us."

Fawn turned to Lainey, her expression bleak.

"Well, I see why you didn't answer my phone call," she said quietly.

Lainey flushed, looking away as she tucked her hair behind her ear.

"Fawn, I was going to call you right back. I swear, I just--"

"Don't forget that those things are the reason so many people we knew are dead--"

"Whoa!" Lainey interrupted. "Those things? Are you kidding me, Fawn?"

"Don't forget that your mother could be dying for all we know because of those things."

"Don't forget that Benjamin has saved my life!" Lainey retorted. "He's saved my mother's life. Fawn, you know Benjamin isn't like other dead walkers. Why are you saying such things?"

"Do I really? Do you really? All we know for sure about Benjamin is that he's the most wanted undead man in the world. And that he's a dead walker . . . and their track record for not killing people is way in the negatives. The only reason I didn't burn your boyfriend into a pile of ash is because you love him. But to be honest, Lainey, it's starting to feel like I'm just waiting for the inevitable to happen so that I can hate myself forever."

Fawn's natural compassion made Lainey want to grab her best friend in a tight hug.

She sighed.

"Fawn, Benjamin won't hurt me. He would have by now, don't you think?"

"I don't know what to think anymore, Lainey. What I know is that we've lost too many people to dead walkers. And . . . if it ever came down to it with Benjamin . . . I'd rather you hate me forever than me hate me forever."

She reached into her pocket and pulled out Mom's ruby necklace. The very same necklace Retro snatch off Lainey's neck at Vera's birthday party and shattered to pieces.

It was like new again.

"My mom's necklace," Lainey said quietly. "Where did . . . how did--"

"I fixed it," Fawn said, placing the necklace in Lainey's hand. "I want you to wear it, Lainey . . . and never take it off. You understand?"

Lainey narrower her eyes at her best friend.

* * *

She had been watching the boy struggle with his bindings for hours from her corner of the storage unit. His determination was relentless. His stamina reminded her of the undead. Rebecca was starving. She wanted nothing more than to tear into the kid's sweet flesh. At this point, she was sure she could devour him in a matter of seconds. But she felt sorry for the kid. Sorry that he'd been lured into a trap by a dove-addicted lunatic who called himself the Messenger.