Chapter 44

Nicole walked in fast strides up the tallest hill in Sancova Park. She turned to face Lainey, a huge smile spreading across her pretty face.

"C'mon, Elaine!" she urged. "Hurry up!"

"You still haven't told me where you're taking me, Nicole," Lainey said, almost out of breath.

"You'll see when we get there! Now come on!"

The girls continued their trek up the highest hill in the park. When they finally reached the top, they stared out over the park, the setting sun casting a Halloween-orange hue over the grass and trees.

"It's amazing, isn't it?" Nicole said breathlessly, her eyes darting across the view before them.

Lainey watched the scene before them for a few seconds before turning to Nicole.

"I don't get it. Nicole, we've been up here a million times."

"But never during sunset!" Nicole said enthusiastically. "This view . . . it makes me . . . feel something." She turned to Lainey. "You can't deny this view."

Lainey shrugged.

"It's beautiful. . . . I guess."

Nicole rolled her eyes.

"You must think I'm crazy. Just like my parents."

"I don't think you're crazy! Well, maybe crazy creative."

Nicole smiled and sat down at the base of the lone tree that stood on the hill, her legs crossed.

"I'd love to be able to paint this view one day. Not sure I'm that good yet, though."

Lainey sat down next to her.

"Are you kidding? Your art is amazing!"

Nicole laughed.

"You're just saying that." She leaned against the tree. "It was my Grams who got me into art," she started slowly, her eyes narrowed at the scene before her. "When I was little, I used to stay with her a lot . . . to get away from my parents' fighting. Grams taught me how to finger paint. And . . . one day my . . . my dumbass decided to spend an hour painting something for my ungrateful, sad excuse of a mother. It was a family painting. Me. My mom and dad. And the little brother I wish I had. I mean, I went all out. Glitter . . . macaroni outlines. The works. When I gave it to my mom, she looked at it for a few seconds before saying 'this isn't us'. Then she ripped it in half. She split up the family I wish I had. Daddy and Aiden -- my imaginary little brother's name -- fell on one side of the floor. And me and Mom fell on the other. I didn't bother taping the painting back together. Mom was right. It wasn't us. That family only existed in my dreams. That family was happy . . ."

Lainey's gut wrenched.

"I'm . . . I'm so sorry," Lainey said.

Nicole shook her head and continued.

"As I got older, naturally, my painting got better. I had started using canvas paper and brushes. And for some reason I always wanted to paint another family painting -- this time without Aiden -- for my mom. I always felt she didn't like the original because it wasn't real—it wasn't . . . genuine. But every time I sat down to paint it, I always ended up painting this . . . incredibly beautiful woman. The same woman every single time. She had long, black hair. A pretty face. Full lips. The most beautiful brown eyes and caramel skin . . . and she wore a tiara. I ended up naming her Tiara even when I was sure that woman was me." Nicole shook her head. "Man, she was beautiful. Like a warrior princess or something."