Chapter 5

Far too many hours and a short nap later the two cars pulled into the parking lot of a cheap looking motel. It was a small building with maybe only about thirty to forty rooms in total spread out between two floors. The second floor had a small open walkway that went all the way around the building. There was a small disgusting looking pool across the parking lot. We pulled into the parking spot next to Neil's car.

"This place looks disgusting." I said as I looked out the car window.

"What did you expect? Neil booked the rooms." Billy answered before stepping out of the car.

I got out of the car and walked around to the trunk to grab my overnight bag but Billy was already there holding both of our bags in his hand.

"I can carry that." I said as I held out my hand to him.

"I got it Sunshine." He responded, his nickname for me causing a slight smile to form on my lips.

"Come on, let's go to our room." Max said as she ran over with her own bag holding a room key in her hand.

I looked at the key in her hand and saw that it was for room 26. I looked past her to see that room was on the second floor. I then looked over to Mom who had the other two room keys in her hands while Neil held their bags.

I looked back to Billy who still held my bag in his hand and felt bad that I had to leave him. I wanted to go up and wrap my arms around him. To at least be able to give him a hug goodnight, but I couldn't. I had to pretend like I wasn't crazy about him and I had to fight down the lump that was trying to form in my throat.

"God Billy give her the bag, so we can go to sleep. I'm tired." Max told Billy as she stood in front of us with one hand on her hip the other holding her overnight bag.

His eyes left mine to look behind me and annoyance spread over his face as he looked to the rest of our family.

"Here take your shit." He said as he pushed the bag in my hands and walked past me to grab his own room key.

"Ass." Max said softly as he walked away.

"Let's just get to the room." I said as I stormed past her not wanting her to notice the tears that threatened to spill from my eyes.

I could hear her behind me as I walked up the stairs. Once we were inside the room I looked around. It was small, and dusty looking. A small tv sat on top of a dresser that was in front of the door. Against the opposite wall were two twin sized beds and across the room was a small bathroom that I could see because the door was open.

"This place is disgusting." I said as I threw my bag down on the bed closest to the door.

"It's not that bad." Max replied as she walked over and softly placed her bag down on her bed.

"You don't need to fucking lie. This place is a shit hole. Dad would never have let us stay in a place like this." I told her remembering how spoiled we used to be.

"I wouldn't know." She answered softly as she pulled out clothes from her bag.

I instantly felt guilty for bringing up our dad. He left when she was still young. So she has some memory of him but there's no way she would remember something like the way he always made sure we had the best of everything. Sometimes I could not help but wonder if mom only married Neil because she needed someone to take care of her. He's nothing like dad, I could not come up with one reason why she would have fallen in love with him. It must be fake, I would tell myself.

I sat down on the edge of the bed while Max went into the bathroom to get changed. I couldn't seem to focus on anything except the stain that was on the floor inches in front of me. I needed something to focus on so I didn't fall apart. In the last few years I have lost everything. No matter how much I wanted to deny it I knew this move was going to change everything. I was going to lose the only thing I had left, Billy.