Chapter 69

When I got back from my tests Max was storming out of my room looking around every which way as if she was looking for someone.

"What's going on?" I asked her.

"Billy's here!" She snapped as her eyes finally stopped roaming and landed on who she was looking for.

I followed her line of sight and saw that she was looking at a security guard. She took a step forward but I stood up from the wheelchair the nurse was pushing me around in and grabbed her arm.

"It's okay, Max. I need to talk to him." I told her.

"Like hell you do!" She yelled at me causing everyone to look at us.

"Please stop making a scene?" I asked her.

"No, after what he did..." she started to say.

"I know what he did and I need to talk to him. Alone, before mom and Neil get here." I pleaded with her.

"Why?" She asked.

"You know why." I answered her.

"Fine, but I'm waiting right here and Hopper is only a few rooms down with the others so just yell if you need help " She said as she sat in a chair that was in the hall.

"Should I call security?" The nurse asked.

"No, it's just my stepbrother. Everything will be fine." I told her.

She didn't seem convinced but she pushed me in the room anyway. When I entered the room Billy was sitting in the chair on the other side of the room. He was hunched over with his elbows resting on his knees while his hands were in his hair. One of his legs was bouncing up and down frantically. He looked so worried and stressed that I almost got out of the wheelchair to go to his side. I had to stop myself remembering that I couldn't just let this go, like I do all his other bad behavior. He had taken things too far and I needed to stay strong and not give in to those sad eyes I knew he was going to have when he looked up.

When he heard us enter a second later his head shot up and he looked like he had been crying. My heart broke as all I wanted to do was run over to him, pull him into a hang and tell him everything was going to be okay. Instead I just sat there biting the inside of my cheek as we made eye contact. The exchange felt like it took minutes but in reality it was only two seconds at the most before he shot up from the seat and ran over to me.

"Thank God you okay." He said as he wrapped his arm around me.

I groaned out in pain as I was still in a lot of pain. He instantly let me go and took a step back.

"Shit, I'm sorry." He said as he looked down at me.

"Your sister is still in a lot of pain. I would refrain from physical contact." The nurse told him coldly as she helped me up and back into the bed.

"The doctor should be in shortly with your results." She told me before giving Billy one more look and leaving the room.

"What tests?" He asked.

"They checked my ankle to make sure I don't have nerve damage or tore any muscles or some shit." I told him. "And they did a cat scan to make sure I don't have swelling from when I...ah hit my head." I told him as I looked down to my hands.

"What happened, Leslie?" He asked as he sat down on the foot of my bed.

" No one told you?" I asked him not knowing what to do.

I know what they wanted me to tell people but Billy could always tell when I was lying.

"The cop told me a little before bringing me here but not much." He answered and I could tell there was a lot more he wanted to say but he was holding back just as I was.