Chapter 37

I could feel someone touching me, and something cold on my chest. I opened my eyes and had to close them right away against the bright light. I tried again and was able to hold them open but it took a few seconds for my vision to stop blurring and to actually see the doctor was in the room with Billy and I.

He was taking my vitals while Billy watched quietly from the corner.

"Is everything okay?" I asked.

"Yes. Everything is perfect. You should be good to go home. I still want you back in for the sleep test. Until then I have written you a prescription for the same sleeping pill I gave you last night." He said as he handed me a piece of paper.

"So is she okay?" Billy asked.

The doctor looked over to him and I could tell he was suspicious of Billy.

"It means she's okay for now. But we still don't know what caused the seizure or any of her other symptoms. You need to keep getting sleep and try to avoid stress and any unnecessary activities until we have more answers." The doctor told me.

I shook my head at him and watched as the little hope Billy had seconds ago left his body.

"Thank you doctor. I'll make sure she takes her meds and follows up with you." Billy told him.

"Thank you young man." The doctor said before telling me I was all set to leave and left the room so I could get dressed.

Billy handed me my clothes that I was wearing yesterday and started to the door.

"You don't have to leave Billy." I told him.

"Yes I do." He responded and left the room, leaving me to dress in silence.

I guess he was serious about that conversation last night. I couldn't believe he wasn't to take a break. After that speech about how he would never leave me. How he promised if I stopped trying to pull away he would be better. I guess I now know how he feels all the time. It hurt more than I would think considering I said the same thing to him many times. But it's different when you're the one being left behind.

After a few minutes there was a knock on the door.

"You can come in." I called out.

The door opened and Billy walked in.

"Are you ready to go?" He asked.

He sounded so sad that it broke my heart. I couldn't remember a time when he sounded like this. Not even when I tried to break up with him. This fact made me worry, worried that even though he said this was just a short term thing it wasn't.

"Not really." I answered.

"Why what's wrong?" He asked as he became worried all over again.

"Nothings wrong. I just don't want to leave." I answered.

"Why would you want to stay in the hospital?" He asked as he started to take a step closer to me but stopped himself.

"It's quiet here, and I liked it being just the two of us. Even under these circumstances. And I know the second we walk out that door the real world is going to consume us again. And I don't want to leave things how we did last night. I wanna fix this. Please tell me what I need to do to fix this." I pleaded with him through my tears.

Billy crossed the room and pulled me into his chest.

"Please don't cry." He told me.

"We can fix this." I told him realizing how much I sound like him right now.

"I don't think we can. At least not right now. Right now we need to fix you." He told me as he pulled away and put some space in between us.

"We should really get going. We still need to get home and shower and change before school." He told me as he turned and walked away.