Chapter 65

He took a second to process what I had just told him and then placed his hand on my shoulder.

"It's fine. I'll get him to leave." He told me as he headed to the front door.

I reached out and grabbed his wrist stopping him in his tracks.

"Please be careful." I told him.

"I will be." He answered then made his way outside.

I sat down on the couch and listened through the broken front window.

"Am I dreaming, or is that you, Harrington?" I heard Billy's voice ask Steve.

My heart dropped in my stomach as I heard his voice. This was becoming all too real, Billy was here and we were totally screwed. The kids all crawled over to the window and were peeking out.

"Yeah, it's me. Don't cream your pants." Steve responded.

"Get down before he sees you." I whispered to them.

"He can't see us." Dustin responded to me.

I heard Billy's car door close and my worry grew stronger.

"What are you doing here, amigo?" Billy asked as his voice got closer to the house.

"I could ask you the same thing." Steve responded. "Amigo."

"Looking for my stepsisters. A little birdie told me they were here." Billy told him.

"Huh, that's weird. I haven't seen Leslie sense school and I don't know your other step sister." Steve lied.

"Like Leslie. Small? Redhead? Bit of a bitch." Billy told him.

"Doesn't ring a bell. Sorry, buddy." Steve lied again.

"Get away from the window." I told them again.

"You know, I don't know, this...this whole situation, Harrington, I don't know. It's giving me the heebie-jeebies." Billy told him.

"Oh, yeah? Why's that?" Steve asked him.

"My thirteen year old sister goes missing all day. And then I find her with you in a stranger's house." Billy said. "And you lie to me about it."

"Man, were you dropped too much as a child, or what?" Steve asked him. "I don't know what you don't understand about what I just said. She's not here."

"Then who's that?" I heard him ask and all the kids jumped down for the window.

"Shit did he see us?" Dustin asked.

I stood up from the couch and tried to make my way over to them to see what was going on. But I put the wait down wrong on my ankle and fell to the ground. Max quickly joined me at my side as I gripped my ankle and tried not to scream.

"Help me get her up." Max said, causing the boys to run over to me and lift me off the ground.

They started dragging me to the back door probably to run away but I couldn't make it past the table.

"I can't walk any more, I have to sit down." I told them as the pain was so strong I was starting to get light headed.

"We have to go." Max told me.

"I can't." I replied.

"Maybe Steve got him to leave." Lucas said as he started back to the front of the house.

Max and the others chased after him. A few seconds later I heard the front door slam open and I knew Billy was now in the house. I didn't have to see him to recognize his presence now filling up the house.