Chapter 30

The next morning Billy and I both felt like shit. He didn't complain but I could tell by the way his eyebrows were scrunched together all morning. The three of us got ready in silence. I wasn't sure what to say to Billy. We kinda made up this morning but I wasn't sure if he remembered much of that conversation.

"Max, are you ready?" I asked her.

"Almost." She answered then hurried into her room.

I went after her and closed the door behind us. She turned around and looked at me strangely.

"What are you doing?" She asked me.

"I just need to talk to you real quick." I told her.

"About what?" She asked.

"So last night when Billy got home he asked me who drove us home." I told her.

"Yeah, your friend Eddie." She told me.

"Well I didn't tell him that." I told her.

"What did you tell him?" She asked.

"I told him that Steve drove us home." I told her.

"Why would you do that?" She asked.

"I don't know. I guess it's because Eddie is terrified of Billy but Steve doesn't seem scared of him." I told her.

"So you want me to lie?" She asked.

"Just a little." I told her.

"Is Eddie like your boyfriend? Is that why you're protecting him?" She asked me.

"No, he's just a friend. A friend that won't be able to handle an angry Billy." I answered her.

"And Steve can?" She asked.

"God I hope so." I answered her.

"Fine but if he finds out the truth and gets mad I'm telling him you forced me to." She told me.

"Hey you two lets go!" Billy yelled from the other room.

"We should go." I told her.

The drive to school was a quiet one, Billy didn't even turn on the music letting me know he must have a headache. When we got to the school I let Max out of the car and she quickly skated off to school. Billy still sat in the car smoking a cigarette as he used his free hand to try and run the pain out of his head. I got back in the car and dug through my backpack. I pulled out a bottle of tylenol and handed it to him.

"Take some. It should help." I told him.

"Thanks." He responded as he opened it up and grabbed three swallowing them without a drink.

"So I know you're not feeling well. Do you remember what we talked about last night?" I asked him.

I needed to know if he remembered what he said to me. About staying and about Max.

"I do." He answered.

"You remember what you said about Max?" I asked him.

"I told you I do." He snapped a little.

"Did you mean it? I know you were really drunk so if you wanna take anything back. Or revisit it I would completely understand. I won't get mad. I just need to know where we stand." I told him.

"I meant it Leslie. I meant all of it." He answered but before he could give me a chance to respond he got out of the car and walked to the school.

Kids started coming up to congratulate him about the keg stand he did last night at the party. Others were just trying to talk to him. He had become quite mr. popular last night. Then like a bat out of hell Chris appeared.