Chapter 23

When I was walking to History I was instantly approached by a very angry Billy.

"Where the hell have you been?" He yelled at me causing everyone in the room to stare at us.

"I went for a smoke." I answered him as I tried to walk around him but he blocked my view.

"Without me?" He snapped.

"I'm allowed to go outside without you as a shadow." I told him as I tried to pushed my way past him towards our class.

"Who were you with?" He asked me as he sat at the desk next to me.

"I was by myself dipshit." I lied to him.

"Then why didn't you ask me to come with you?" He asked.

"Look Billy I just needed to clear my head. I needed to be alone." I told him.

"Just let me know next time." He said.

"Why so you can follow me?" I snapped at him.

"No, so I know where you are." He answered.

"Billy, that's the same thing." I reminded him.

"That's not what I meant. I meant that I didn't know where you were and after last night I was scared. You can't wander off like that without telling me. I didn't know where you were." He told me.

"I didn't think about how worried you would be." I told him.

"Lets just assume, every time you're not in my line of sight, I'm worried." He told me.

A strange feeling washed over me and I didnt know what to make of it. On one hand I was flattered and felt grateful that he was worried about me. On the other hand I was scared, scared that he always wanted me to be where he could see me. To always know where I was and what I was doing. That was terrifying. The thought of him always watching, always having to worry about making him angry. But it's only because he worries about you. I tried to convince myself.

"Next time I'll let you know before I go wandering off." I told him.

"You better." He responded.

"Let's get to class. I don't want to be late on my second day." I told him.

"Hate to burst your bubble sunshine but we're already late." He told me.

I looked around the halls to see that we were standing alone. How I did not notice all the students disappearing was a mystery to me.

"I didn't notice they were gone either." He told me.

"If I get in trouble I will kick your ass." I told him sternly as I started walking to class.

"Maybe we'll get detention and not have to go home." He said as he followed after me.

"That would be great if we didn't have to drive Max home." I reminded him.

I could hear him mumbling to himself, probably complaining about Max. I didn't ask him to repeat what he said because I didn't want to hear him complain about my sister again. So I bit my lip and walked silently alongside him.

When we reached the classroom I was happy that the teacher gave us a pass considering it was only our second day of school. Once we took our seats and the lessons started Billy reached under the desk and gave my hand a light squeeze and it was like all my troubles melted away from the simple contact. He was here with me, and that was all that mattered.