Chapter 43

When we got inside Billy and I locked ourselves in our rooms while Neil yelled at my mom for not watching her daughter correctly. After what felt like forever Neil left for work and the house fell into silence. There was a soft nock on my door and I opened it to see my mom standing there.

"What were you thinking being out so late?" She asked me.

"It wasn't even late. The sun was still out." I reminded her.

"It doesn't matter you know the rules. You can't go anywhere unless we know where you are." She told me.

"Billy knew where I was." I reminded her.

"He did not have an address. And why were you hanging out with a bunch of boys?" She asked as if I was doing something wrong.

"I was just hanging out with some friends from school." I told her.

"Why can't you make any girl friends?" She asked me.

"No, I can't!" I yelled at her. "All the girls in my school don't care about me. They just want to use me to get to Billy." I told her, causing her to roll her eyes.

"Don't blame Billy for your inability to make friends." She told me. "That kid has it hard enough as it is."

"Then why don't you do something about it?" I asked her.

"Its not up to me to discipline him." She said as she looked away because she knew she was full of shit.

"You still didn't answer my question. What were you doing?" She asked me.

"I was auditioning to be in their band." I told her.

"A band, you're not in a band." She told me.

"Actually I'm the lead singer." I told her as I awkwardly smiled hoping she would be happy for me.

"Well you're going to tell them you can't sing with them." She told me.

"No!" I yelled at her.

"You don't get to say no." She told me.

"Yes I do. You wouldn't sign the permission slip for me to be a cheerleader, but I don't need your permission to be in the band." I informed her.

She looked at me with her disappointed look on her face. I knew she would be happy about me joining a band but she actually looked sad.

"I'm going to bed." She replied then walked out of the room.

I heard her door slam shut and dropped onto my bed. I laid there for a very long time trying to fall asleep but failing miserably. I finally gave up and walked out to check on Max who was asleep. I then walked over to my moms room and could hear her soft snores and knew she was asleep as well.

I quietly made my way to the front of the house where Billy's room was. I was going to knock but didn't want to chance waking anyone up. So I pushed open the door slowly and walked in closing the door behind me.

I expected Billy to be asleep but when the door latched shut Billy turned around to see who had entered his room. He looked at me for a second but didn't say anything. He just rolled onto his back and looked up at the ceiling. I walked over and sat down next to him on the bed. He still didn't look at me. He was staring at the same spot on the ceiling as if it was fascinating.

I reached over and softly grazed my thumb over the spot under his eye. He winced away slightly then grabbed my wrist and moved my hand away from him.

"You shouldn't be in here." He told me.

"I know, but I can't sleep." I told him.

"Did you take your meds?" He asked as he sat up to face me.