Chapter 55

It was completely dark now and we all sat in silence and I could barely see anything anymore. There was no light on this bus. Now that we were just sitting here I was having a real hard time staying awake. You would think that is crazy with all that is going on but the exhaustion has set in and I didnt know how much longer I would be able to stay awake.

I was sitting between Max and Steve who was looking out of an opening we left in one of the windows so we could see.

"Are you sleeping?" Steve asked me which made me realize I had drifted off and leaned my head on his shoulder.

"I must have drifted off, sorry." I told him as I sat up a little straighter and tried to force my eyes to stay open.

"It's okay. It's been a long day." He told me.

"No it's not okay. Don't let me fall asleep." I told him. "Please, promise me" I begged him, causing him and Max to look concerned.

"Hey it's okay." Max said as she reached out and held onto my hand.

"No it's not. What if I fall asleep and start sleepwalking again. Someone could get hurt because of me. I could fuck everything up. God I shouldn't be here." I started to say as I started to pace the bus in a panic.

Something was wrong. Something was wrong with me. I was overcome with the need to run. To get out of here. We were in danger. Serious danger.

"I won't let you fall asleep." Steve answered as he placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Thank you." I told him as I squeezed Max's hand a little tighter.

I watched as Lucas climbed up to the roof of the bus with his binoculars. We had placed a bunch of tires up there to put up some sort of barrier between us and them. Something to hide behind but he was not safe up there and I didnt like it. Steve started flicking open and closing his lighter which gave both of us something to focus on. I found my body leaning into his slightly needing something to lean on to keep myself from falling over.

"Are you awake?" He asked as he continued to play with his lighter.

"Yep. You?" I asked, causing him to laugh.

"I hope so. This would be one hell of a dream." He answered.

"More like a nightmare." I responded.

"So you really fought one of these things before?" Max asked Steve from the seet she sat in across from me.

He didn't say anything but he nodded his head yes.

"And you're, like, totally, 100% sure it wasn't a bear?" She asked him with her arms crossed.

She was obviously still doubting their story but I knew even though it sounded crazy it was true.

"Shit. Don't be an idiot. Okay? It wasn't a bear." Dustin snapped at her.

Steve and I both looked at eachother. I didn't know Dustin for long but this seemed out of character for him.

"Why are you even here if you don't believe us?" Dustin yelled at her again. "Just go home."

I looked over to Max who had her arms crossed and seemed to be annoyed with him. But also in shock that he yelled at her.

"Geesh, Someone's cranky. Past your bedtime?" Max said as she got up and started climbing up the ladder.

"Where are you going?" I asked her before she could get all the way up.

"I'm going to the roof." She said as she rolled her eyes at me.