Chapter 38

When we arrived at school Max skated off to do whatever she does. I looked at Billy who was halfway done with his cigarette.

"Can I have one?" I asked him.

He was about to hand me one when he hesitated and put his pack back in his pocket.

"No." He replied and threw his cigarette aside and walked away.

"Great, this is going to be a amazing fucking day." I said to myself.

"I wouldn't count on it." Steve said as he walked up and joined me.

I tried to smile at him but I couldn't get my face to work, he looked as miserable as I did.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I think me and Nancy broke up yesterday." He answered me.

"I'm sorry, I could tell how much you liked her. What happened?" I asked.

"Exactly that, I think I liked her a lot more than she liked me." He answered as he ran his hand through his hair.

"I am hearing a lot of I think in your answers. What I think is you need to go talk to her and find out for sure what is going on. If you love her, don't let her go without real answers. Don't give up unless you're sure it's over. Otherwise you will regret it later on. And if all else fails just apologies." I told him.

"I didn't do anything wrong." He replied.

"It doesn't matter just say you're sorry for fighting, or saying something to upset her, or not listening to her feelings and what not. Most of the time we just want to know you care." I told him.

He nodded as he looked deep in thought as if he was listening to what I had just told him and was trying to take it all in.

"We should head in so we're not late." I told him then started walking but he stopped me.

"Hey are you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah why wouldn't I be?" I asked him.

"Because you were in the hospital last night." He answered.

"How do you know that?" I asked.
"It's a small town and people talk." He told me.

"Great so now I'm not only the new girl, but the new girl who has seizures." I said as I started walking towards the school.

Steve ran to catch up with me then stopped me again.

"Wate you had a seizure?" He asked me.

"Yeah." I answered.

"Does that happen often?" He asked, looking concerned.

"No the first time. And before you ask the doctors don't know what caused it. They think it is either brought on by stress or something to do with a sleep disorder I may or may not have." I informed him.

"Shit, Leslie, should you even be here right now. Maybe you should have taken a day off." He told me as we entered the school.

"Neil wouldn't let me." I mumbled as I walked to my locker.

I noticed a few people looking at me as I passed. Obviously they are the ones who heard about last night. I also noticed Billy's eyes on me and Steve as we walked down the hall together. And for the first time ever I wished he would storm over here and get all possessive. That would at least let me know that he still cares. Instead he just stared at us angrily for a few seconds and then stormed away.

"What crawled up Billy's ass today?" Steve asked, noticing him too.

"He ummm...kinda broke up with me at the hospital." I answered him.