Chapter 72

When I started to come the next morning I knew I was not alone.Before I even opened my eyes I could hear Steve and Dustin arguing nearby. I laid there not wanting to wake up yet. I was also curious about what the two of them were bickering about.

"You should just ask her out." Dustin said.

"That's not going to happen. Steve replied.

"Why not, you're single, she's single?" Dustin asked.

"Nancy and I just broke up." Steve told him.

"Exactly!" Dustin yelled back at him.

"Keep your voice down, you're going to wake her up." Steve scolded him.

"But why?" Dustin asked him.

"Where just friends." Steve answered him.

"Why?" Dustin asked again.

"Why, what?" Steve asked him.

"Why are you just friends?" Dustin asked him more directly.

"Believe it or not a guy and a girl can be friends without wanting to have sex." Steve snapped back at him.

"Ewwww, gross." Dustin said, bringing the conversation to an end and almost causing me to laugh.

"What's gross?" I asked as I stretched out my arms pretending to just have woken up.

"Nothing?" Steve answered quickly.

"Fine, don't tell me." I teased as I rubbed my eyes.

"How long have you been awake?" Steve asked.

"Like five seconds." I lied as I looked over to the two boys.

Dustin was smiling while Steve was red in the face.

"How are you feeling?" Dustin asked.

"Like my pain meds have worn off." I answered as I struggled to sit up.

Steve ran to my side and helped me up.

"Thank you." I told him as he started to move around the pillows so I had something soft to lean back on.

"You didn't have to do that." I told him.

"It's fine, it's what friends do." He told me even though his gaze was fixed on Dustin.

"Sure it is.." Dustin replied.

"So what are you doing here? It's nice to see you but I'm sure you didn't come all this way to wait for me to wake up." I asked Dustin.

"Well not just you. I'm making my rounds. I already saw Will and Eleven. There a few doors down with that doctor from the lab. Then I checked on Steve and the two of us came to check on you." He rambled.

"Nice to know I'm on the bottom of the pecking order." I teased him.

"No, it's just...they...you were asleep." He quickly replied.

"Calm down, it was a joke. Of course you would go see your friends first. I appreciate that you thought about me at all." I told him.

"Of course I'd come to visit you too. You're a total badass. You saved us from the demodogs and you didn't even know us. You didn't have to do that." He told me.

"What and sit back and let all my sister's friends die?" I asked him.

Before either of them answered there was a knock on the door. Everyone's eyes snapped to the door expecting to see the angry nurse from before. By the look on Dustin's face I wonder if he had a run in with her before.