Chapter 11

A few minutes later he parked the car in front of some brick building in the middle of downtown Hawkins. A large blue sign hung over the entire front of the store read Melvald's General Store. It was hard to tell any of the stores apart. They were all made out of brown bricks, and everything looked the same. There were a good number of people walking up and down the street with bags in their hands. Everyone seemed to be happily going on with their lives while Billy and I sat less than a foot away from each other and were miserable.

I watched as a pretty skinny girl with shoulder length curly brown hair walked past us. She was with a boy who was a little taller than her. He had long straight brown hair that was combed back out of his face. His arm was around her shoulder as he held her close as they walked down the street. The two of them were looking at each other and laughing as they talked about something I couldn't hear. I felt envious. I wanted that, to walk down the street with Billy's arm wrapped around me. Not worrying about anything, just the two of us being together without judgment, without fear. To just be two happy teenagers in love. Billy opened his door and and throughout his cigarette that he had lit after we dropped Max off.

"Billy, hold on." I called out after him.

"What?" He asked me coldly.

"I just wanted to say thank you." I told him.

"For what?" He asked.

"For what you did for Max. Giving her that money. It was nice and I'm sure she appreciated it as much as I did." I told him.

"It's not like I could let the little demon starve." He said then walked out of the car slamming the door closed behind him before I even unclipped my seat belt.

"Good talk." I mumbled to myself before getting out of the car.

As I hurried to catch up to Billy, I couldn't help but notice all the looks we were getting. I was used to people looking at me, but it was never like this. The looks I was getting now seemed to be judgmental. I thought I looked great when I left my house but now as I looked back at the townspeople, I realized I was completely overdressed. I stuck out like a sore thumb and Billy was still pissed because of our disagreement in the car and he looked scary as hell.

We walked inside and were greeted by a middle-aged lady with wavy brown hair that laid on her shoulders. She had short bangs and a big fake smile on her face.

"Good morning, my name is Joyce. Welcome to Melvald's General Store." She told us.

"Thank you." I responded to her as I grabbed a cart, Billy just walked off ignoring both of us.

"Are you passing through?" She asked, confirming that I do stick out and in a bad way.

"Ummm... no we actually just moved. We got in last night." I answered her.

"Well welcome to Hawkings." She told me.

"Thank you." I told her.

"Leslie, hurry up!" Billy yelled, causing me to blush in embarrassment.

"Your boyfriend is kind of rude." The lady said to me as I started walking away.

"He's not my boyfriend. He's, my brother." I told her before hurting off in his direction.