Chapter 24

Thankfully the rest of the day went on with no incidents. Billy and I had lunch and went to our classes. I did have to watch as a few girls flirted with Billy. Today he didn't flirt back but it still hurt to see them throwing themselves at him. No one besides Nancy, Jonathan, and Steve talked to me. A few people looked like they were about to approach but Billy never left my side. He was always there to scare them away, even though it was unintentional. He was scary and intimidating to most.

Once school was over the two of us went to sit in Billys car while we waited for Max. Billy lit one of his cigarettes as I did one of mine. We sat in silence for a while listening to The Scorpions while we waited for Max to get out of school.

"I can't wait to see you in your costume tonight." He said, breaking the silence.

I smiled and looked over to him.

"I wish I could say the same about you but you're just going as yourself." I reminded him.

I tried to get him to buy an actual costume but he refused.

"That's because I'm perfect and I don't need a costume." He replied.

"So are you saying I'm not perfect?" I asked him.

He looked at me with a shocked expression on his face realizing the mistake he just made.

"You're always perfect..." he said but before he could finish the school bell rang letting us know Max's school day was over.

Some time had passed and most of the kids had cleared the parking lot.

"Where the hell is your sister?" Billy asked me.

"How would I know that?" I answered as I stepped out of the car to look around for her.

She should really be here by now.

Billy joined me at the front of his car and lit another cigarette. He leaned against the hood of his car and I did the same thing. Staying a few inches away from him so we were not touching but close enough to feel the heat radiating off of him.

After another six minutes of listening to Billy stress about Neil getting home before us I finally saw Max skateboarding towards us.

"You're late again." He said to her as she walked around to the passenger side of the car.

"Yeah, I had to get catch-up homework." She lied.

We had only been here two days. What did she have to catch up on?

"Jesus. I don't care." He told her. "You're late again, and you're skating home. Do you hear me?"

She didn't say anything in response, she just opened the door and climbed in the back.

"Can you relax it's only a few minutes?" I told him.

He looked like he wanted to say something to me but instead just tossed his cigarette aside and got in the car as well.

"Good talk." I said to myself as I walked around to join them in the car.

He sped off down the road, the music was loud and not one of us said a word until the school was behind us.

"God, this place is such a shithole." Billy said being the first to speak up.

"It's not that bad." Max told him.

"No?" Billy asked her as he looked at her in the rear view mirror.

He then hit the button and rolled down my window because Max was sitting behind me.

He inhaled deeply so we both could hear.

"Mmmm!" He said loudly. "You smell that, Max? That's actually shit." He said as he pinched his nose closed so only us could smell it. "Cow shit."