Chapter 40

When lunch was over I said goodbye to Eddie and his friends. They were a little weird but nice overall. I could tell they didn't fully trust me yet. They probably thought it was some sort of joke a cheerleader was trying to pull on them. I would just have to prove to them that I'm not a bitch.

"Why the hell were you sitting with those freaks?" Billy's voice asked as he walked up to my side.

"Because there nice and I had nowhere else to sit." I told him.

"You could have sat with me." He responded.

"I could have but you're not talking to me. Chrissy was sitting with you so I couldn't sit with her. And Steve, Nancy, and Jonathan were missing." I informed him.

"I'm not, not talking to you." He told me.

"But we're not really talking are we?" I asked him.

"Leslie." He said as he grabbed my hand to stop me from walking away from him.

"Yes?" I asked him.

"Look I know I said we should give each other some space but that doesnt mean I want us to not talk or ignore each other." He told me.

"I don't know how the two of us can have space any other way, Billy. When we are together you consume me. I can't be your friend and not your girlfriend." I told him.

"You think it's easy for me. I just don't want to stress you out." He told me.

"Then don't stress me out Billy. We don't need to break up." I told him.

"We didn't break up." He said as he pulled me into an empty classroom.

"Leslie, I didn't break up with you. I don't want to break up. I just want to give you some space to heal." He told me.

"And you just decided I need to do that without you. Maybe I want you around. Maybe you make me feel safe." I told him.

"Leslie, let's not lie to each other any more. I'm not good for you. I'm not a strong enough man to walk away completely like I should. But I can give you a few weeks until the doctor can find out what medication you need to be on to stop the seizures." He told me.

"Being alone and having no one to talk to is not going to help me." I informed him. "So you think you may be helping me but you're not. You're doing this for yourself, to make yourself feel better because you think it's your fault. It's not, not everything is about you." I told him as I pushed past him and headed for the door.

I grabbed onto the handle to open it but stopped before I could leave the room.

"Just so you know I'm hanging out with Eddie and his friends after school. There in a band and I'm going to go listen to them play." I told him.

He didn't answer me so I turned to look back at him. I could tell he was angry but was choosing to remain silent.

"I don't need a ride home after school but can you please wait for Max this time?" I asked him.

He still didn't answer me; he just stood there clenching his fists.

"Billy." I called out to him.

"Yes, of course. I will wait for her." He answered me.

"Thank you." I replied. "I don't know what time I will be home."

"Fine but I want his phone number in case I have to reach you." He told me.

"Well we're going to Jeff house, that's where they practice but that can be arranged." I told him.

I could tell he wanted to say something but again didn't. He bit his lip to keep back whatever he was going to say.

"I'll meet you at the car with the phone number after school." I told him.

"Okay." He replied.

"Billy, I will be fine." I told him. "They're a little weird, yes but they're good guys."

"If they hurt you I will kill them." He told me.

I walked over to him and grabbed his hand.
"I know." I replied. "And I love that you're always willing to protect me but I'm telling you this time, it's unnecessary."

I tried to pull my hand away from his but he would not let go.

"Promise me something." He said.

"What?" I asked him.

"Don't do any drugs okay. We don't know if it's what causes your sezirer but it could. And the doctor said it could make your condition worse." He told me.

"I know, and I promise." I answered him.

"Okay." He said as he pulled me into a tight hug.

When we pulled apart I looked at his sad face and it broke my heart.

"Hey, maybe tomorrow we can go do something. Just me and you." I told him.

"I would love that." He answered.

"Great, we can figure it out in the morning." I told him.

"We should probably get to class." He said as he walked past me and to the door.

He opened the door and just stood there holding it open.

"What are you doing?" I asked him.

"Holding the door open for you." He answered.

"What a gentablemen." I said reading him.

"Keep making fun of me and I will shut the door." He said in an annoyed voice even though he was smiling.

I smiled and walked over to him and out the door.

"Thank you." I said to him once I reached the hallway.

"You're welcome." He replied then the two of us walked to class in silence.

I thought about what we had just talked about and the way he was acting. He was clearly trying to be better. He even held the door for me. He was upset I was hanging out with Eddie and his friends but he let me go without a fight and didn't get mad. Maybe us not constantly being around each other was actually going to work in our benefit.