Chapter 82

Order for Eddie." I heard the hostess call out.

I turned around with Steve's protest to see a blur of curly hair hurting out the door.

"What the fuck?" I asked as I watched him run to his van and speed off as if he was being chased.

"What's wrong?" Steve asked, following my line of sight trying to see what I was seeing.

"Eddie was just here. Look." I answered him as I pointed to his van speeding down the street.

Steve sat up straighter as we watched the van disappear.

"He's probably just in a hurry. That kid is weird." He said, causing me to punch him in the shoulder.

"Owww...what the hell was that for?" He asked as he rubbed his shoulder.

"Don't call him weird." I told him.

"But he is." He responded as he flinched back as if he expected me to hit him again.

"He's my friend, and he was there for me these last few weeks. When you weren't, so maybe you could be nicer to him, for me!" I snapped at him.

"Okay sorry. No need to yell. I will try to be nicer to the fr....to Eddie." He corrected himself.

"If I ask you something will you answer me truthfully?" I asked him.

"Of course." He answered.

"How bad was the fight today? I tried asking him and Max but I couldn't get a straight answer." I told him.

He let out a large sigh as he ran his fingers through his hair pushing it back out of his face.

"It wasn't much of a fight." He half answered.

"What happened? Was it bad? Is Eddie okay?" I asked him again.

"I didn't see how it started but from what I saw it was all Billy. Eddie didn't even look like he tried to fight back. Billy had him pinned when the teachers broke it up. I didn't talk to Eddie much. I tried, he just asked me to drive you today and took off. But from what I would tell on a scale of okay to me getting my ass beat I would say he was a solid 6." He told me.

"Maybe I should go check on him tomorrow. Give him some time to calm down." I said more to myself than to Steve.

I just wasn't sure of how I would get there. It's not like I could ask Billy to drive me. And mom won't want to be alone with me that long. I would rather die before asking Neil.

"I think that's a good idea. I can drive you if you want." Steve told me as if he was reading my mind.

"You would do that for me?" I asked him.

"Of course. I'll just wait until the cat for you to be done or you give the okay to leave." He answered.

"Thank you." I said as I pulled him into another hug.

"You don't need to thank me." He told me as he hugged me back.

"I really do. I know I can be a pain in the ass. I appreciate you." I told him which caused him to laugh softly.

"You should probably let me go. People are starting to look." He told me.

I opened my eyes that I didn't realize I had closed and looked around to see other kids from our school were in fact staring at us.

"Fuck them." I told him and hugged him one more time before letting him go.

We finished our meals as he filled me in on all the drama that was happening at school. He insisted that I be well informed when I return to school on Monday. I couldn't believe I was actually excited to go back.

"At least you will have a few days to settle back in without Billy being around." He told me as we headed to his car.

It took me a second to realize what he was talking about.

"I didn't even think about that. How long was he suspended for?" I asked.

"A week. So you have until next Friday to get back into the groove without him making everyone uncomfortable." He told me.

"I guess it will make it easier." I replied not sure how I felt about Billy not being there when I went back to school.

We listened to music as we drove to my house and once we were in my driveway Steve's mood seemed to change.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

"Nothing." He lied.

"Nothing my ass." I teased him.

"It just bugs me knowing Billy is inside." He said.

"Are you scared of him?" I asked.

"I mean a little but that's not it." He answered.

"What is it?" I asked him.

"You swear he's not bothering you? He leaves you alone?" He asked.

I wanted to tell him he didn't have to worry. That Billy's a dick but he would never hurt me. The problem was I didn't believe that anymore.

"I promise that if he becomes a problem you will be the first to know." I told him.

"Okay then let's get you inside." He said before jumping out of the car and running around to get my door.

He helped me down and then grabbed my chair out of the back set and brought it to the door as I struggled with my crutches.

"Thank you for dinner. I had a really good time and it was nice to see you again." I told him.

"I did too. See you tomorrow? Noon?" He asked before heading back to his car.

"See you then." I called after him.

I opened my door and walked in leaving that stupid wheelchair outside. I was never going to sit in it again.