Chapter 47

A short while later the two of us sped into the arcade parking lot and the tires of Billy's car came to a screeching halt.

"Billy, be careful there are kids here." I reminded him.

"I'm not going to hit anyone." He said as he leaned back in his seat and looked out the window.

"I'm sure everyone thinks that right before they hit someone." I told him, causing him to laugh.

"Where is she? We need to get home before Neil does." He said as he put on his glasses as if it could make her appear.

"Hey it's not her fault we took longer than expected." I reminded him. "She didn't even want to be here this long."

"I know." He said then his head shot up and he looked confused.

"What?" I asked as I followed his line of sight to see the back of my sister's head move away from the front door.

"Where is she going?" He asked.

A few seconds later one of the kids I met the other night at the school came into view. I think his name was Lucas.

"Who is that kid?" Billy asked and I could hear the overbearing Billy boiling under the surface.

"I think his name is Lucas. I met him the other day at school. He seemed really nice. Nicer than the other kids she's friends with." I answered him.

"So there friends?" He asked and I could hear that he was annoyed but I could tell why.

"I think so." I answered.

"I told her not to talk to him." He told me.

"Why?" I asked confused. He seemed like a nice kid.

"Dont be stupid Leslie, you know why." He told me.

"No I don't, or I wouldn't have asked. Why don't you enlighten me Billy!" I snapped at him.

"Do you think Neil would approve of her being friends with someone like him?" He asked me.

Before I could talk about this anymore Max came storming towards the car. I opened the door and got out to let her in and I could see Lucas standing in the doorway watching her.

"How was your day?" I asked her.

"Fine." She answered as she climbed into the back seat of the car.

I climbed in after her and once I was in the front seat I closed the door. Billy did not drive off like he always did instead he just sat there. His head leaving back on the head rest, his arm resting out the window and he looked off in the distance.

"The hell I tell you?" He asked Max.

"I'm not late." She replied to him.

"You know what I'm talking about." He said in a calm voice that was almost scarier than his angry voice.

"Oh, Lucas?" She asked, causing Billy to scoff in annoyance.

"So he has a name now, huh?" He asked her with a sinister smirk on his face.

"It's a small town, okay? We werent hanging out." She told him and I really wish I hadn't missed what every conversation has led up to this awkward conversation.

He frowned, making a super weird face.

"Hmm. Well, you know what happens when you lie." He said to her, causing me to sit up straight in my chair.

What the hell is going on? I thought.

"I'm not lying." She told him but clearly she was.

I wasn't the only one who seemed to notice because Billy finally looked at her.

"Billy, she says she's not lying." I told him. "But even if she was, I don't see the big deal." I told him firmly.

He looked at me and made a disapproving face then started to drive out of the parking lot. We drove in silence but the car ride home was still very tense. When we reached the house we got out of the car and Max and I started walking towards the house.

"Hey, Max." Billy called out, causing the two of us to turn around.

"What?" She asked him.

He didn't answer, instead he walked up to us and grabbed the skateboard out of her hands.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Max called out as she tried to grab the skateboard from him but he held it over her head.

"Just give it back to her Billy." I told him.

He looked at me then back to her who was now standing there with her arms crossed staring at him.

It looked like he was going to give it back to her but when she reached out for it he spun around and slambied it into a tree. Her skateboard broke in half.

"That's what happens when you lie to me." He told her as he dropped both pieces onto the ground.

"What the hell Billy?" I yelled as Max picked up the two pieces and started to run to the house.

"I hate you!" She yelled as she disappeared inside.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I yelled at him.

"She lied to me!" He yelled back.

"She's a thirteen year old girl, she lies to everyone!" I yelled back at him.

"I told her not to talk to that kid and she did it anyway!" He yelled at me.

"I dont give a fuck what problem you have with Lucas! But he is a good kid and you will leave him and my sister alone! Actually you will leave any friends she makes alone! You have no right to intervene or treat her like that. If she is hanging out with someone who is a problem I will take care of it! Understood!" I yelled at him but he didn't answer. "Understood?" I asked again.

"Neil expects me to look after her." He told me.

"I don't give a fuck what Neil expects. Stay the fuck away from my sister and her firends! I have raised her almost my entire life. I don't need your help or anyone else's. And you will buy her a new skateboard." I told him as I stormed off into the house to find my sister.

"What's going on?" My mom asked when I walked in the door.

"Nothing." I lied.

"Okay. I left you a plate of food in the microwave. Remember to eat and then take your meds." She told me.

"Okay I will." I told her as I tried to head for Max's room.

"Now." She told me as she got in my way.

"Can't it wait?" I asked her.

"No. You have been on that prescription for two days and have already forgotten to take a dose so you will eat and take it now." She told me.

"How do you know that?" I asked her but she didn't answer.

I heard the front door closed and looked to see Billy standing there with a sad look on his face. He told her. I thought as I watched him walk into his room.

"Fine!" I snapped as I sat down at the table and forced myself to eat the meatloaf my mom had made.