Chapter 5

On the day of the banquet, Yu Yuan arrived quite early. The banquet just started, but many had already arrived. A banquet of this tier was an opportunity to network, and not many would want to miss it. Yu Yuan stopped by the security to show her invitation and hand in her gift.

Upon seeing the special features that could only belong to invitations handed out by the patriarch himself, the man scanning the invitations became more respectful. He quickly accepted her gift and allowed her to enter while wondering who she was.

Invitations issued by the patriarch himself were given to very few. And almost all of them were big shots and well known. But he had never seen or heard of Yu Yuan before. Then he thought of the Yu family, but all the outstanding younger generations of the Yu family were known.

He suddenly recalled. Could she be the daughter of Yu Heng, who studied in Havard but very few people had seen? Even so, what was special about her that made the patriarch issue a personal invitation.

As Yu Yuan entered, indiscreet eyes followed her. Yu Yuan wore a long cream-colored dress. The dress possessed a slit from her thigh to the bottom, and her long and slender legs could be seen peeking from time to time as she moved.

Her dress hugged her body, creating a stimulating sight, and it trailed behind her making her look seductive and elegant at the same time. Her shoulders were bare, and her beautiful collarbones were accentuated with fitting diamond jewelry.

Such a beautiful woman, but nobody recognized her. Few had seen the differential attitude of the security towards her, and this made them more curious about her identity. Yu Yuan couldn't care less about all the attention she was getting. She was used to such gazes.

With no intention to mingle, Yu Yuan quickly found herself a seat. Even though she had no intention to mingle, the same couldn't be said for others. Not long after she sat, a few people came up to her. She couldn't ignore them.

As a smart woman, even if she wasn't interested, she knew how to keep people engaged and not offend them. The more she conversed, the larger the crowd grew. Even the ones who approached with ulterior motives found themselves being drawn in.

When she mentioned her name, people had contemplating looks on, but no one asked further. They didn't want to be rude.

While conversing, Yu Yuan felt a malicious gaze directed at her. At first, she ignored it, but the gaze was persistent, forcing her to look for the source. Yu Yuan turned her head and locked eyes with the culprit. It was Xi Man. Looking like she couldn't wait to tear Yu Yuan apart.

Yu Yuan gave her a smile in response, and turned away, not showing any serious reaction. Ignoring people like that was worse than causing a fuss. Xi Man, of course, was pissed, but she couldn't do anything.

She had reported her encounter with Yu Yuan to her father, hoping to get some revenge, but after her father investigated who Yu Yuan was, he warned her severely not to do anything stupid.

Even though Yu Heng didn't get along with the Yu family, their relationship wasn't at the freezing point, and Yu Heng himself was a force to be reckoned with. He couldn't afford to offend anyone from the Yu family. Xi Man hated her even more after that warning.

The young lady next to Xi Man had noticed her intense glare and couldn't help but ask, "Xi Man, do you know her?"

"Just a slut!"

Realizing she might have misspoken, she quickly tried to remedy the situation, "I ran into her at Tia with Assistant Qin. Their relationship seemed ambiguous."

The lady didn't quite believe her. Anyone with eyes could tell that Yu Yuan was a strong woman and not the type to depend on men. She might be naive, but she wasn't stupid.

Xi Man obviously had grudges with that lady, but the lady's reaction showed that she didn't attach much importance to Xi Man.

Seeing that she didn't believe her, Xi Man tried to change the topic. "How's your brother? I heard he just closed a major business deal. Did he come to the banquet? I would like to congratulate him."

The young lady was Fang Huan. Her family was a giant in the business of manufacturing construction materials. Even though they were not as strong as the other wealthy families, they had good connections and deep roots.

Her brother, Fang Chu, was a promising young man chosen to be the heir of the Fang family.

Xi Biming was a nouveau riche compared to the Fang family, but he wanted to find shade under the big tree that was the Fang family. Hence, he sent his daughter to integrate herself with the younger generation of the Fang family. It was even better if she could get Fang Chu to fall in love with her.

Hearing Xi Man's words, how could she not know what she was thinking. Many other ladies had also approached her with similar objectives. Now, she was simply tired and disgusted.

She responded curtly, "My brother has received many congratulations these recent days and has no need for Miss Xi's superficial greetings. I have matters to attend to, so I won't stay to accompany you." After saying this, she left quickly without giving Xi Man time to respond.

Who knew what trouble she would encounter by associating with this person who had water for brains. She feared that staying any longer would be disadvantageous to her. She wasn't a stupid person that would jump into a pit she could see right in front of her.

Xi Man's face flushed in anger at Fang Huan's response. What business! She was clearly avoiding her.

Bitch!  she cursed in her heart. Who would want to talk with a dolt like you if not for your brother?

But she could only think these things but didn't dare say them out loud for fear of retaliation.

On Yu Yuan's side, she had just disentangled herself from the crowd to find some food. Socializing took some energy. As she wandered around searching for food, Yu Yuan arrived at a different section of the banquet.

It seemed like it was to cater to the younger and more playful generation. The atmosphere lacked the solemnity of the other side, and their food suited her tastes more than that of the other side of the banquet.

After getting some food, Yu Yuan turned to return to her seat. On her way back, Yu Yuan witnessed a scene. The center of attraction was one of the rich second generations she had been talking to. If Yu Yuan remembered clearly her name was Su Rong.

Su Rong had been chatting with her friends when she heard someone call her name. As she turned, she bumped into someone, and this person just happened to be holding a glass of red wine. The glass shattered on the floor with a loud noise, attracting the attention of people.

Su Rong stared at her stepsister, who just bumped into her. Her stepsister, Su Qing, was an irritating member of her family that she had no choice but to deal with almost every day. Since they were little, Su Qing always wanted what she had and was never satisfied with her lot.

While Su Rong's mother didn't like Su Qing, she didn't want to carry the label of a wicked stepmother. So she was taken care of like a member of the Su family would be.
Everything she should have she had, but who knew what got into her head and made her think that Su Rong had snatched from her what ought to have belonged to her.

Su Qing's special skill was acting pitiful to gain favor. When they were little, Su Rong suffered many losses in her hands, but that changed as they grew older.

Su Rong wondered what sort of play she was about to enact this time. As if on cue, Su Qing whipped out a handkerchief and bent down to wipe the wine stains on Su Rong's dress while frantically repeating the words 'I'm sorry'.