Chapter 37

"Aunty Zhang, how long until you are done making dinner, and what ingredients do we have left? I want to make a dish for my husband before he returns."

The older woman was surprised at this intention, but she quickly responded, "I'll be done in 10 minutes. We get fresh ingredients every three days, and the last batch was brought in today, so we have a lot of ingredients left. Madam can take a look at the fridge for whatever you would like."

Yu Yuan nodded. "What about seasonings?"

"We also have a variety of them available. They are located at the top left cabinet."

"Good. I'll step out and come back in 10 minutes then."

Aunty Zhang watched Yu Yuan leave, still feeling surprised. The new Madam was acting like she hadn't expected.

The woman's actual name was Zhang Jia, but people called her Aunty Zhang. She had worked in the Huo Family Mansion for over ten years and was quite familiar with Huo Wei. Although Huo Wei was a cold and ruthless person, he treated his employees fairly. After working here for so long, she had developed a bit of maternal affection for Huo Wei and often worried about him.

She always thought Huo Wei would spend the rest of his life alone, but now that a wife appeared without warning, she felt strange. But the new Madam seemed gentle and nice. She even wanted to make a dish for her husband. It made her think that maybe things weren't as bad as she had assumed, and the relationship of husband and wife was more than harmonious.

By the time the 10 minutes were over, Aunty had cleared the kitchen to make cooking easier.

Yu Yuan stepped back into the kitchen with her hair up in a messy bun, and she quickly grabbed an apron and tied it around her waist. She opened the fridge and quickly noted the types of ingredients available.

A quick dish easily came to mind. She decided to make bok choy and mushroom stir fry. Yu Yuan also checked the cabinet at the top left to confirm if the seasonings she needed were available. Aunty Zhang hadn't lied to her. They had a large variety of seasonings.

Yu Yuan spent the next five minutes grabbing, slicing, mincing, and arranging the ingredients on the kitchen tabletop.

First, she mixed the sauce. She used oyster sauce, soy sauce, vegetable broth, cornstarch, maple syrup, and Shaoxing wine. She didn't make most of them from scratch like she usually did, but she could manage them. She also ensured the wine was unsalted to prevent saltiness and preserve the dish's flavor.

After mixing the sauce, she grabbed a huge pan with water and steamed some bok choy until it softened. She scooped them out and heated some oil in the pan over medium heat. Then, she added the brown mushrooms she had sliced earlier and stirred them for some minutes before adding some dried chili pepper along with the minced ginger, garlic, and green onion.

She moved her wrists and continued to stir them. At the same time, a savory aroma started to spread, tempting one to pick their chopsticks and have a taste.

After stirring for about 2 minutes, Yu Yuan added the bok choy and the sauce she had prepared earlier. A blend of enticing flavors burst from the pan into the kitchen. Aunty Zhang who was waiting outside could perceive it clearly.

She was ready to rush in just in case Madam needed help, but judging by the aroma, her presence was redundant. She didn't know what dish Madam was making, but her mouth watered at the smell of it. She almost wanted to barge in to satisfy her curiosity and taste buds.

Yu Yuan stirred the pan until the sauce thickened before transferring the dish to a big plate. Aunty Zhang was still guessing what the Madam might have made when Yu Yuan called out that she was done.