Chapter 17

Huo Wei returned to the Huo family mansion late in the evening, around 10 pm. At this time, many of the workers had already retired to bed.

Only Housekeeper Zhong was awake to welcome him. But the housekeeper was an elderly so Huo Wei quickly dismissed him.

The huge mansion was cold and uninviting, but its owner didn't seem to mind.

In his room, Huo Wei took off his jacket and raised his hand to loosen and pull off his tie with his slender fingers. Perhaps it was because he was home. The oppressive atmosphere that always surrounded him seemed a little less.

The phone he had placed on the table slightly vibrated and lit up. Someone was calling.

Huo Wei frowned and glanced at his phone. His expression eased, catching the name on the screen, and he picked up the call.

"President Huo?" Yu Yuan's voice sounded.

"Hmm."

"Am I disturbing anything?"

"No."

"Oh... I was worried President Huo might still be working. Looks like I picked the right timing."

"En," Huo Wei lazily replied

Yu Yuan quickly got to why she called, "Thank you for the gift. I liked it very much."

"It's good if you like it."

"I do. When there's an opportunity, I'll brew some tea for President Huo to enjoy."

This time, a slight smile formed on Huo Wei's lips. "Ok."

Since her purpose had been achieved, Yu Yuan didn't want to impose any longer. "Have a goodnight, President Huo."

"Hmm." Huo Wei paused a little and finally added, "You too."

A brief chuckle could be heard over the line. "Thank you, President Huo."

Then the sound of the line disconnecting could be heard.

Hou Wei stared at his phone for a while. His thoughts were inscrutable.

******
It was 2 am in the Huo Mansion and all its residents were asleep except one person.

Huo Wei stood next to the window in his room. No one knew what he was watching or thinking.

The room had fallen into the darkness with the moon as its only light source. A dangerous and gloomy atmosphere filled the entire room.

The moonlight fell upon him, casting a long dark shadow behind.

Once it was this time of the night, this part of the Huo Mansion was like a hunted house, and everyone knew to avoid it.

After what seemed like an eternity, Huo Wei finally moved. He left the window to sit in the dark. Next to him was a cigarette and lighter. Without needing light, Huo Wei accurately grasped both and slowly brought the cigarette to his lips before lighting it.

Huo Wei rarely smoked unless he was in a bad mood. But in the past few months, the frequency had increased because of his neverending insomnia.
His lack of sleep worsened his mood and fanned the flames of his violent urges.

Only he knew how much he had to restrain himself. His rigid self-discipline and strong willpower kept him at a very delicate balance.

His insomnia started after the death of the former Patriarch Huo. At that time, Huo Wei experienced many life-threatening situations. Even the Huo Mansion wasn't safe then. There were many spies among the employees.

During that unsafe period, it was very difficult to find sleep. There were many problems at the Huo Company he had to solve while trying to avoid being killed at the same time. After he gained the upper hand, he dealt with all the problems, but one remained.