Chapter 32

"I heard you schooled abroad for a while. Did you enjoy it?"

Yu Yuan moved to pick up her wine glass. "There were a lot of things to adapt to, but in the end, it was a wonderful experience."

For Han Jun, this blind date had been going well so far. After they finished their meal, they spent the rest of the time conversing, and during their conversations, he spent time observing his date.

She wasn't the most beautiful, but he couldn't tear his eyes off her for some reason. Her gestures and minute movements drew him. She had the perfect manners and posture of a well-raised young miss. Conversations with her were also interesting and enjoyable. At least, he thought so, but he wasn't sure Yu Yuan felt the same.

Her eyes were always serene and composed like a deep well. He couldn't see their depths, much less tell what she was thinking. She appeared focused on their conversation, but at the same time, it was like she was just humoring him.

He only felt she was more lively when they talked about business. But in those moments, he got a slight feeling that he was talking to a powerful business tycoon miles ahead of him. This feeling reminded him of when he first met the Huo family Patriarch. Except she didn't have those cold eyes that seemed to look down on everyone like an emperor.

For Han Jun to have made it this far, he wasn't a fool. He could tell that there was more to Yu Yuan than met the eye. But he didn't feel intimidated about what her true persona was. If anything, he was happy he met her. He admired strong women, and he wasn't opposed to getting married to one.

But that didn't depend on him alone. Han Jun wondered if Yu Yuan had favorable feelings toward him and would be willing to go on another date.

Yu Yuan was thoroughly bored. She couldn't muster an iota of interest in Han Jun, but she wasn't a rude person, so she kept the conversation going. Han Jun wasn't a bad date, but he just wasn't what she wanted.

Yu Yuan smiled at something Han Jun said, but deep down, she promised herself that this would be the last time she would go on any blind date. She just discovered that it was torture to herself to try and settle for less when she had seen the best.

If she couldn't get the best, she would rather stay alone. Besides, who was to say that she wouldn't get the best? She hadn't even tried yet. After this date, she would pick a nice day to invite Huo Wei for tea. That was a good start.

Maybe the two of them weren't enjoying the date equally, but to an outsider, they gave off the feeling that they were having a good time. And this scene happened to fall into the eyes of Huo Wei, who was in a black car parked right across from the restaurant.

This car had been there for quite a while, and Huo Wei wasn't the only one in it. His driver was too. Although, with the onslaught of pressure from Huo Wei, the driver strongly wished he wasn't there.

Let's rewind for some minutes.

Huo Wei didn't spend much time at the club before leaving. He didn't enjoy that noisy place much like his friends, so he left them behind. The route back to his house required driving past a particular restaurant. As they approached that restaurant, Huo Wei turned his eyes to the scenery outside the window. Then, his eyes caught two people seated across each other in the restaurant. One of them he was familiar with.

Suddenly he ordered, "Stop the car."

His tone wasn't harsh, but for some reason, the driver didn't dare hesitate to follow his order despite how abrupt it was.

Huo Wei leaned closer to the window.

It was definitely her. It was Yu Yuan, and she was having dinner with a man.

The atmosphere in the car was plummeting. His eyes narrowed sharply when he saw her smile, and the atmosphere plummeted even faster.

"Park the car.'

"Yes, Sir."

Huo Wei picked up his phone and made a few investigative calls. After getting the information he wanted, he called one more person.

He watched the restaurant with lidded eyes. His focus was still on the couple seated by the window. The atmosphere among them was cordial. After his calls, it was obvious this wasn't for business but a date. A date.

Huo Wei was expressionless as he continued watching, but only he knew how many waves he was experiencing on the inside.

He was waiting. It should be anytime now.

From his view, the gentleman across from Yu Yuan received a phone call. He looked puzzled, but the more he listened to the person on the other side, the more alarmed he became until he could no longer sit still. He ended the call and turned to her. Most likely, he was rendering an apology for having to leave early.

Huo Wei was right.

"Miss Yu, I apologize but I have to leave urgently. A project I'm working on ran into some problems. I need to go take care of them."

"It looks like this project is very important. Don't worry about me. You should go take care of your business."

"Thank you for your understanding, and I deeply apologize once again. I'll contact you later. Have a nice evening, Miss Yu."

You don't need to, though, Yu Yuan thought as she watched him leave hurriedly.

She turned to admire the view outside the window. The street was well-lit, and cars could be seen driving past occasionally. She turned her head and froze briefly before moving her gaze like nothing had happened.

That black car parked outside the restaurant seemed very familiar. Even the number plate was familiar.

Yu Yuan stared at the empty seat before her for a minute.

Did he...? Or was she being narcissistic?

Yu Yuan grabbed her bag. There's no point thinking about it now. She would find out once she got outside.

As soon as she stepped out, the backseat window rolled down to reveal the perfectly sculptured face she had felt multiple impulses to kiss at different times.

Yu Yuan moved closer to the car, stopped right at the window, and leaned over to assess him. She looked deeply into his eyes. They looked as still as a lake, but she could tell they were waves raging underneath.

"How long have you been here?" she asked.

"Not long."

"Did you do anything while you were here?"

"Just made a few calls."

Yep. He definitely did something.

Huo Wei watched for her reaction and asked, "Do you mind?"

He would look perfectly nonchalant as he asked this question if Yu Yuan didn't catch the sight of his right hand slowly curling to form a fist.

"No, I don't mind."

The pressure in the car lightened a few degrees.

"Get in."

Yu Yuan raised an eyebrow in question.

"I want to talk to you."

She pretended to contemplate it momentarily before getting into the car.

Sigh! The seats in his car were always comfy. They were probably customized. She adjusted a little to find a better position.

Huo Wei's eyes darkened as he watched Yu Yuan get comfortable without minding his presence. He really wanted to...

Her eyes cut to him.

Yu Yuan caught the dark gaze that was still fixated on her. She chuckled internally, and her eyes turned a little teasing. She really wanted to know what he was thinking.

"What did you want to talk to me about? Is it important?"

"It is."

Important? Was it about business?

Huo Wei looked her straight in the eye and said, "Marry me."

Author's Note:

🙀🙀🙀

Shocker 🌚