Chapter 45

Back at the mansion, Yu Yuan had her bath, and Huo Wei followed after. While he was in the bathroom, Yu Yuan went to find a midnight snack.

When she got to the kitchen, she was surprised to find that someone was there. It was Butler Zhong.
"Butler Zhong, you haven't gone to sleep yet? It's quite late already. For the sake of your health, you shouldn't be staying up late at your age."

Butler Zhong smiled in response. "Madam caught me. I usually stay up late, waiting for Master to return. Today he returned somewhat early, but my body already got used to staying up late, so I'm here for a glass of warm milk to see if it'll help me sleep."

Yu Yuan looked at the wall clock. It was 11:30 pm. Was this considered early?

Butler Zhong could read the puzzlement on Yu Yuan's face. "This time is indeed early." Then he sighed, "Ai, it's not like Master doesn't wish to come home at a more normal time. It's just that some incidents after his succession left a considerable effect on him."

"Incidents?"

Butler Zhong hesitated a little. "Master doesn't like to talk about that period, so we don't mention it. Although, it's not really a secret."

"Can you tell me about it?"

He sighed. "For some period after succession, Master experienced multiple attempts of assassination. At that time, he didn't have a firm grasp of the Huo family. There were multiple spies in the mansion and at work. It was a real struggle to stay alive and unharmed."

"Master got injured a couple of times too. He had to stay on high alert during that period. He had to work himself to the bone for the company and still had to sleep with one eye open. Naturally, he slept very late and woke up early in that period. His physical and mental health had taken a substantial blow when it was over."

"He finds it very difficult to fall asleep, and serious headaches plague him. So instead of returning home early, he'd rather spend it at the office where he thinks it'll be more productive. By the time he comes back, everyone has gone to bed."

"Coming back to no one waiting for him while living in this huge mansion, isn't it lonely? I felt really sad, so I always try as much as possible to stay awake and welcome him. Although he always says I don't have to, Master has no family, so he tends to hide everything. He suffers more than he lets on."

Yu Yuan was overwhelmed with guilt and felt like a shard of glass had cut through her heart. "I didn't know it was that bad." They shared a bed, and she couldn't even tell he had difficulty falling asleep. What kind of spouse was she?

The butler brightened up. "That's because things got really better since you moved in. You might not know it, but we, the staff, can tell. Master's face has brightened up a lot, and I noticed he hasn't been using his sleeping pills as much as before. I suspect he enjoys better sleep with you around."

Yu Yuan was surprised. She always thought he slept well enough, except he was always a little alert. The slightest movement would rouse him. She just thought it was because he wasn't used to sleeping with another person. It turns out she had a significant role to play.

"Madam," Butler  Zhong implored. "Master isn't as healthy as he looks. We try to take care of him as much as possible, but we are just employees. We can't influence his decisions much. Now that you are here, please take care of him." After saying this, he bowed deeply.

Yu Yuan hurriedly help him up. "Butler Zhong, you don't need to go this far. Even if you didn't mention it, as his wife, it's my duty. Don't worry. I'll take good care of him."

Huo Wei was already in bed by the time Yu Yuan returned to the bedroom. He had a book in his hand that he was reading. Even at leisure, he looked so domineering. Who would have thought this man was... She felt her heart squeeze.

Huo Wei placed the book aside. "Where did you go?"

"To the kitchen, to find a snack."

"Eat fewer midnight snacks. It's not good for your health."

"Yes, Dr. Huo." Yu Yuan walked over and crawled into the bed.

Huo Wei noticed something was a bit off as she lay down, so he asked, "Did something happen?"

Yu Yuan was quiet for a moment before asking, "Is it true that you suffer from severe insomnia, and it's because of the things that happened after you first took over the Huo family?"

A look of realization dawned on his face. There was only one person in the mansion who would tell her. "Did you run into Butler Zhong?"

She nodded.

Huo Wei thought about it and said, "It's true that the period left some effects on me, but I'm better now, especially since we got married. I sleep much better with you around, so you don't have to worry."

Yu Yuan still didn't feel relieved. They planned to separate if they were incompatible and not because one of them died. And so far, they have gotten along very well. She didn't want to become a widow.

"I want to see the results of your full body health check."

Huo Wei saw that she wasn't willing to let things go, so he agreed, "Yes, ma'am."

Feeling appeased, Yu Yuan turned her back and went to sleep. Huo Wei turned off the lamp and lay on the bed. He pulled her into his arms and closed his eyes.

Huo Wei could smell the familiar scent belonging to his wife. They hadn't spent much time together, but he felt like he was already addicted to her.

He remembered the first time they shared a bed. Yu Yuan had already fallen asleep, and he held her the same way he did now.

He had expected to face the same insomnia he had struggled with for a long time, but he didn't. Instead, he felt a refreshing sense of relaxation and calm that he hadn't enjoyed for a long time. The restlessness that had been consuming him was nowhere to be found. Before he knew it, a wave of drowsiness overcame him, and he fell asleep.

He had a rare dreamless night. None of those distorted images appeared before his eyes. He couldn't remember the last time he had such a peaceful sleep.

The following nights proved it wasn't a one-time thing. With Yu Yuan around, he felt relaxed, and sleep came to him as easy as breathing. The most peaceful moments of his life were becoming tied to her presence.

Huo Wei leaned into her neck and deeply inhaled her scent. His arm around her tightened. Now, he felt even more unwilling to let go. They hadn't been married for long, but divorce was quickly becoming an unacceptable option.

So far, they hadn't shown any signs of incompatibility, but it was still too early to tell. He had to find a way to make her reluctant to leave. It would be best if she fell in love with him. But how could he accomplish that? He had limited knowledge and experience in that area.

Huo Wei decided not to think too much about it for now. Perhaps he could find someone with experience to ask later. He closed his eyes. With his wife by his side, he quickly fell into dreamland.