Chapter 35

The evening was calm and serene in Orchard Estate, but a particular household was slightly bustling as they prepared to welcome their son-in-law. Today was the day they would officially meet, and Yu Yuan's parents wanted to make sure everything was perfect.

They might not be as rich or as powerful as Huo Wei, but they didn't want to appear less in any area. Besides, they believed that the more respectable they appeared, the more likely for Huo Wei to think twice before doing anything to hurt their daughter.

Yu Yuan noticed their efforts and felt touched. This was a way they showed how much they loved her. They knew they weren't as powerful, but they were willing to put all their efforts into ensuring her comfort.

Yu Heng and Feng Mian didn't dress to impress as that would have the opposite effect, but they made sure to look respectable.

Not long after preparations, Yu Yuan received a call from Huo Wei. He had arrived.

"He's here?" Her mom asked.

Yu Yuan nodded. "Hmm. I'll go bring him in."

"Ok. You go do that."

When Yu Yuan got outside, she found him at first sight. This evening he was dressed even more exquisitely than usual. He had swapped his usual black tailored suit for a navy blue one. The suit fit his body perfectly and drew attention to his long legs. He looked dazzling.

When she reached him, he pulled her in for a hug. She hadn't even offered a word of greeting when he sealed her lips with his. It was a short kiss, but it was the most intoxicating thing Yu Yuan had experienced since their last meeting.

Huo Wei's eyes lingered on her lips when they separated, obviously feeling reluctant.

"I missed you."

Yu Yuan smiled. She raised her hands to fix his suit. The action showed gentleness but her words we slightly wicked. "Endure it."

Huo Wei's eyes darkened. "I'm good at enduring and being patient."

"Good for you," Yu Yuan retorted. She looked behind him to the car. "Did you drive yourself here?"

"Yes. I brought some gifts too." Huo Wei led her to the boot and opened it to let her see what was inside.

Yu Yuan was speechless. What was all this? If one didn't know better, they might think he wanted to open an online shop.

"Don't you think this is too much?"

"Is it?" He looked at the trunk full of gifts. "I want to leave a good impression on your parents. After all, I'm coming to take you away from them."

Yu Yuan chuckled. "You think a trunk full of gifts will make them go easy on you?"

"Maybe not, but I like to seize every advantage."

"President Huo is wise. I'll get the Butler to sort the gifts. Let's go in. My parents have been waiting for you."

Yu Yuan led him into her parents' home and into the living room where her parents were waiting.

Father Yu had a paper in his hands, looking like he couldn't be disturbed from his reading, but the shift of the corner of his eyes to the direction of the entering couple betrayed him. Feng Mian was also seated beside him, pretending to be watching TV.

Yu Yuan almost rolled her eyes but didn't expose them.

"Mom, Dad, Huo Wei is here."

After her announcement, Yu Heng closed the paper in his hands, and Feng Mian tore her gaze from the TV to welcome their son-in-law.